jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When is the last time anyone remembers a drug company producing a "cure" for any

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 months ago

When is the last time anyone remembers a drug company producing a "cure" for anything?

Seriously we have maintenance drugs, designer drugs, old drugs repackaged into "new and improved" drugs, and even placebo drugs.  When has anyone seen a curative drug or anything even near?  Was it aspirin?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13706718_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 7 months ago

Drug companies are not in the business of curing anything. They exist to make profits, and there's no profit in curing a disease when they can endlessly produce drugs to treat symptoms instead.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 months ago

In 1906 the U.S. congress passed the first food and drug laws which prohibited the use of the word "cure" in the promotion of patent medicines.  Drugs aren't meant to be cures, they treat symptoms.

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 7 months ago

I don't think that aspirin can be put in the category of a "cure". It may stop a mild headache or aches and pains, but it doesn't prevent another one from occurring. The body continues to have the same problem and then reacts again with it.
    I guess penicillin and antibiotics were the only drugs to actually cure anything. But then you could argue with me that those drugs don't prevent the body from getting another infection. However that usually isn't the same infection recurring, although in some cases, it takes a change of the antibiotic to actually cure the condition. In fact bacterial infections have become so drug resistant that one antibiotic often leads to another.
    I think drug companies are in it for one thing: Money. Note all the advertising urging you to tell your doctor how he should prescribe for you. Just wait until you get the bill for that new brand name prescription, that is if you are lucky enough to have prescription drug coverage. Most insurance companies put the drugs on a "tier" system, and unless you take a Tier 1 generic, you are going to pay out the nose for a prescription anyway. If you have to pay for one on a Tier 4 or 5, be prepared to sell your car to pay for it. Besides, many of these drugs not only don't cure, they may kill.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 months ago

Antibiotics that cure the bacteria that cause strep, ear infections and so forth.
    We need new antibiotics, as well, due to rising resistance among many strains.

working