Open Letter to my Drug Addicted Son

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 19 months ago

Read Louis's letter to her drug-addicted son. It is a heartbreaking story of years of drug addiction and violence.

https://hubpages.com/health/Open-Letter … dicted-Son

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Pamela, thank you for sharing this heart-wrenching story. Louise is a strong woman who believes love will overcome. But it seems the love is one-sided and it's beating her down. We love our children no matter what, but there comes a time we just have to step away and ignore the blame and name-calling.

Frankly, I'm surprised her son is still alive. Cocaine is a highly addictive drug. I became addicted to it in the 80's. My friends tried to get me help through NA, but I didn't like the preaching and the God element that was thrown into the meetings. God didn't put me in my situation, I did. I was the one who had to bring me out of it. I and I alone.

After five years of cocaine and alcohol abuse, I no longer liked the high, but couldn't stop snorting it. In order to "just say 'no'", I moved from South Florida to Central Florida where I didn't know anybody at all. That worked for me. I've been drug free since 1987. Had I not been honest with myself about my drug addiction, I have no doubt I wouldn't be alive to comment on this post.

Thank you for sharing. Louise is a brave woman. I hope her letter is spread far and wide. Her message needs to be heard.

Pamela99posted 19 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you and the others on this page. What an awful time she has had, and I hope her life improves. I lived with a man like him, but I did get a divorce. It tears you apart emotionally.

2. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 19 months ago

Louise, I am so sorry you have gone through so much in your life that is painful due to alcohol and drug addiction. I hope you son goes into treatment and/or gets in a support program. He knows he has a problem despite what he says, but he is the one that has to reach for help. I feel sorry for his children too.

3. Stephen Tomkinson profile image91
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 19 months ago

Louise, a powerful tale of suffering. Stay strong - you have shown that you have that resilience necessary to cope with sorrow, I echo Pamela in her hopes for far a positive outcome.

4. louiseelcross profile image89
    louiseelcrossposted 19 months ago

Thank you for reading my article Pamela. I was frightened to publish this horrible story, but I wrote out desperation because my son would not listen to anyone. I am grateful to say that my son did read and has reached out for help and support from alcoholics anonymous. I am praying that he gets the help he needs. Without the alcohol and drugs he is such a beautiful and caring man and has a lot to offer to the world. Thank you..

Pamela99posted 19 months agoin reply to this

I was so touched by your article, Louise. I think all these comments show how much people care about you and what you have been through. Have you ever been to Alanon? That helped restor my santiy after living with an abusive huband. I pray life gets better for you. I think it would be good for you to focus on your health as this situation is obviously impacting it in a negative way.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 19 months ago

Louise, is a strong woman of characer. I pity her and her family.                                       Breaking your health is the end result alacohol and drugs can deliver.

6. Misbah786 profile image86
    Misbah786posted 19 months ago

Louise, I'm so sorry to hear that. God bless you with the strength and power you need to overcome this situation. I also pray and hope that your son goes into treatment and gets the help he needs. May God heal all your wounds and put a smile back on your face that lasts forever.
    Sending you healing hugs, love, and blessings

Thank you for sharing, Pamela.

7. louiseelcross profile image89

Thank you Misbah786 for your kindness, love and blessings. I appreciate you reading my article. Lots of love to you.

8. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 19 months ago

Louise has written a very powerful article. I am so sorry for her and her son. I hope the future improves for Louise and for her son as well.

9. techygran profile image85
    techygranposted 19 months ago

Yes, heartbreaking indeed. This so reminds me of the man in Saskatchewan recently who stabbed several people in different communities and even killed his own brother. The backstory seemed to be that as long as he stayed away from his drugs of choice he was a 'great guy'. I also hope for better things for Louise and her son.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Drug is the arch-enemy of mankind to DESTROY LIFE.                                    I think Louise did not tell us what type of drugs her parents, she and her partner, and her son did use. Forgive me for sayying that because  I've not go through half way of the read. It's a stream of pity all the way I read and I felt piting them. I pray health for their troubled soul.

10. louiseelcross profile image89

Miebakagh my mother used alcohol and drugs in the 1960's and I was too young know what drugs she took. She died when I was 10 years old. This article is about my son's use of alcohol and Cocaine. Thank you for reading and thank you for your prayers.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Louise, cocaine is a very dangerous drug on its own, especially in the dry and process. Adding alcohol to it make it more so.                         But I'm glad you took control over it and try to save your son and his family, your family. It's all the mercies of God. I'll pray for you and them again. Thanks, and you're welcome.

11. MsDora profile image93
    MsDoraposted 19 months ago

What a touching letter! I feel the mother's pain and I sense her devotion to her son. I wish that the story wasn't true. Still, I pray for complete delivery from that the dreaded drug and its consequences, so that mother and son may enjoy some of their lives together. Thanks for sharing and bring some ordeals to our awareness.

12. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 19 months ago

Hello Louise!
    I am so sorry and deeply touched to read this heartbreaking letter.
    I pray and wish for both of you. I can feel and understand the pain of the mother, for her son.
    Best wishes and prayers for things to get corrected, in course of time.
    Stay strong and positive.
    Thank you for sharing this Pamela.

13. louiseelcross profile image89

Bravewarrior, I don't know how my son is alive either! He has been through hell as a result of psychosis brought on by drugs. I have waited years for him to stop using drugs and have constantly lived in fear for him. He survives a terrible ordeal and then 4 to 6 weeks later starts all over again and there is always a danger element to him taking drugs and alcohol. I lived in fear that he would hurt someone else like he hurt me and I live in constant fear of the police knocking on the door and telling me my beautiful son was dead. It's been unbearable! I finally had to boundaries in place and risk losing my grandchildren for ever which sounds callous,but I had to do it.

I am grateful to say that my son has in the last few days reached out to AA which is Alcoholics Annonymous, where hopefully he gets the support and help he needs. Thank you for your comments I truly appreciate the support I have received. Thank you.

Pamela. I used to go to Alanon when I was married to my alcoholic husband but these days I don't. I live in an area where it's not so easy for me to get out to places like Alanon or counselling because I no longer have a car, but I do remember the things I learned years ago when I was married to an alcoholic.

I am so sorry that you experienced an abusive husband and hope you are are recovering from the effects of living with such a person. No one deserves to be abused. Having an addiction or mental illness is also not an excuse to abuse anyone.
    I live 200 miles from my addicted son and so I am safe from him while he using. Hopefully, this nightmare of drug abuse and alcoholism will come to an end for my son and he will deal with his demons and get well.
    I live with my youngest son who is in his late twenties and loves me. I am grateful to have such a loving son.
    Thanks again Pamela, for sharing and caring. I am truly grateful.

14. louiseelcross profile image89

Thank you MsDora, Chitrangada Sharan, Alicia and Techgran for your kind words. Tonight I hear that my son is not good. I am scared for him and praying he gets through the night and survives another day. I feel for any addicts and their families that are going through bad times like this and my heart goes out to them all.

15. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 19 months ago

My heart bleeds for you Louise, after all you have endured. The personal letter says it all. I am afraid that your son can only help himself, if he wants to. You have done all you can and now gave to try and live your own life..be there for your other children and grandchildren. Let us just hope he sees the light, but don’t take the burden on yourself any longer.

16. louiseelcross profile image89

Thank you Jodah. I can only hope and pray that he gets the help he needs before it's too late. He did go to AA but he didn't last very long there. Today is a new day and I hoping for good news. Thank you for reading it Jodah.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)