jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

If a person was a C student through elementary, high school, & college(?), what

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 4 months ago

If a person was a C student through elementary, high school, & college(?), what are

HIS/HER chances to be successful?   

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 4 months ago

Albert Einstein was a poor student. He was dyslexic. Some of his teachers thought he was retarded.

Elton John dropped out of school when he was 16.

Thomas Edison was labeled as stupid by his teachers.

Walt Disney left school when he was 16, to join the army.

Charles Dickens left school when he was 12.

And, as a teacher, I can tell you that some kids just aren't designed for school. The way they think, or the way they learn, doesn't mesh with the way we teach them. Some kids are better off learning in other ways, or come to learning later in their lives.

Doing well in school is not the only predictor of future success.

1. Ken Burgess profile image91
      Ken Burgessposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I agree school is more about learning to conform, follow instructions, complete assignments and regurgitate information even if you think its totally ignorant... it is the same 1st grade to College Grad, some of the greatest minds dropped out for a r

3. ahorseback profile image61
    ahorsebackposted 4 months ago

All of America looks at academia and it's ladder of accomplishment as being all too important ,   One look at average students older in life and  one realizes the  lack of importance of how we view life through intellectualism ,   Does intellectualism gain one wisdom ,  maturity ,  a well roundedness of personality , popularity or presence?  No.    How many people who seem intellectual do you view as absent minded , eccentric , egocentric , immature ?  Look at the very basis of our education system , is there perfection in it's managment , it's productivity , it's end results? 

All of the degrees in the world gain one nothing  without living experience , life wisdom , a basis of maturity and the ability to mix all of that into end result. , it's simply a place to begin .

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Facts are facts.  C students are not successful by any means.  They work at Mcjobs & other mind numbing, dead end jobs.  It is the A students who run this world.   In order to succeed, be an A student!

4. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 4 months ago

Many extremely successful people and business owners were high school drop outs.

Not everyone does well in a memorize and test environment. Some people just go out there and get what they want.

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Memorizing was always my problem.

5. cmiller0161 profile image95
    cmiller0161posted 4 months ago

To be honest, I think success can be considered to be subjective. Yes, many of us hear the word success and think about the top grades and the top paying jobs and all of that.

But that isn't for everyone.

My mum works in admin. She doesn't earn loads of money, but it's enough to get her by. She got her GCSEs at the same time as I did. And she has myself and my brother. She's happy with her success. That's not my idea of success for me personally, but for her, because she's managing financially and she's a mum (something she's always wanted to be), so she's successful in her life.

There are people out there who have well-paid jobs that they dread going to every single day. On the other side of the spectrum there are people in mediocre paid jobs who are enjoying their jobs. C grade students aren't necessarily going to fail in life, and by suggesting as such we're just setting them up to fail. They may take a lot more rejections, but with support from friends and family, they can still be successful.

6. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 3 months ago

Their chances of being "successful" depend on their own definition of success.  If "success" is limited to just "keeping up with the Joneses," the chances are pretty small.  If their definition of "success" is feeling fulfilled, loved, and appreciated, it probably depends more on the choices they make after school, especially on their choice of a person who can be their lifetime companion.