Corona Time

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Soooo, how's it going for ya'll? Our business is open (for now) I go to the office and back home and that's it, no pit stops. Heeding to the very best of my ability, so glad that I live and work in a rural/agricultural area. I know some of you may be going stir crazy about now. Hang in!

2. Doneta Wrate profile image78
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

my husband and it are retired and disabled.  no job to go to.  we used to get out two or three times a day: meet and talk with friends and eat lunch at the commission on aging and then go to the gym for a couple of hours.  also to bible studies or church about three times a week.  now everything is closed down.  not easy for us.  we would like our lives back.  But i have a couple friends who are completly comfortable staying home all the time.  to each his own.

1. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Doneta.... For Bible study, you could "Google Duo." It's an app that allows several participants to communicate virtually together. Your phone or computer will show all of your faces in equal sized boxes, and you can talk among one another and share...

Facetime, only allows two people to interact, whereas this new app lets whole groups have discussions with one another. You might try it. It could be fun!

Obviously, this idea could work for any one here. I just decided to address Doneta since she is going a little bit "stir-crazy.

This is a useful post, AB. Hope more ideas come forward. I'm sort of lucky, depending upon how you look at it. My job is essential, so I still get to go to work. So, in essence, my routine hasn't changed much given that I love being a homebody, when all is said and done.

Stay safe, everyone. Remember not to touch your face with your fingertips if you do go anywhere. It's the most important habit we can adopt to stay safe!

3. abwilliams profile image69

Hi Doneta, hang in there, I think you will be able to be out and about again, in no time at all. smile
    Do you and your husband play cards. I love to play rummy. Me and my friend used to be in trouble all of the time (or so it seemed) so when grounded, we'd play cards for hours and got pretty good at it.
    (when we were teenagers,
    long ago...not recently. LOL!!)

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

The wife has been out several times for groceries, pharmacy and the doctor (not Corona) and I went out once to the home improvement store to make sure I had all I needed to finish the current project (our shower is out of commission until it's finished).  I did go out with my two sons to the golf course, but even there the clubhouse was closed and they wouldn't hand out score cards (too many hands touching them.

Other than that, we've stayed home.  No gym (used to 5 times a week), no movies, no eating out.  Stay home.  Didn't even have the grandkids over because they aren't taking the same view and have visitors and visit others themselves.  That's what I miss - the grandkids in the house.

But my project wraps up today, and when I get the shop cleaned up, don't know what I'll do.  Veg out in front of the TV while reading a book, maybe.  Play board games with my wife.  Post junk on these forums.  Quietly (or not so quietly) go mad.

5. abwilliams profile image69

Dan, I haven't gone to the gym for years, I have my own little space at home and I make myself work out, when I'd much rather veg out in front of the TV...
    A lot of my friends are talking about binge watching complete seasons of missed programs. I may try that at some point (after working out, of course!)

Post junk here, please don't go mad!! wink

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

I take it back.  The Idaho state governor just issued a "stay at home" order.  All non-essential businesses and travel to cease immediately.  All restaurants that cannot serve curbside to close.  All bars to close.  Any business not considered essential (there is a short list) to close.

Pretty severe, given that we have less than 100 cases in the state.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That you know of....

7. abwilliams profile image69

Wow, that does seem severe, but, on the bright side, the odds will be in your State's favor that your already low number of cases will remain low.
    My state, Florida, is definitely on top of this, not going too crazy, but then I hear in the local news that many New Yorkers are continuing to come into the state in large numbers. So, we probably have not peaked here yet, as far as new cases go.
    I have such mixed feelings about all of this, as I am sure you do, but not wanting to get into that right now.
    Be safe!!

8. Doneta Wrate profile image78
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

I have plenty to do.  I jut miss my life and don't like being locked up

abwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I hear ya!
      People are all over our Governor because he will not shut us down completely. I even received a petition to sign to demand the Governor shut us down. Nope, not going to do it. We have enough restrictions right now, I cannot be imprisoned!! I trust Governor Desantis' judgment. He will do what is in the best interest of our State.

While locked up, maybe you and the hubby can whittle up some shanks. wink Lol (I'm sorry...bad joke?)

9. abwilliams profile image69

Thanks Yves, some good advice here, your suggestion of a virtual bible study group is a much, much better suggestion than my idea of whittling shanks. wink

I think that I'm always so careful, but as I was reading through your comment, I noted that my chin was cradled in my hand, we are such creatures of habit and must do better!

Thanks again, I hope that you are well!

1. profile image0

Good to see you, AB. I am well.... so far so good... am actually happy I get to work outside the home!

Yes, the touching the face thing is so easy to do, inadvertently. That's why I thought to mention it; It's one of those things we have to be more conscious of throughout the day.

Another thing that people (and companies) are doing is creating and uploading videos to YouTube to teach exercise or dance classes. I think that's pretty clever.... and classes are usually free. I'll bet Peloton is doing a booming business these days.

Anyhoo, I hope you're doing well, and further hope your business is just as healthy!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I and my wife have been members of the local YMCA for several years, and enjoy many of their exercise classes.

But the Y is now closed of course.  So they are offering their classes live through the 'net.  I'm joining a yoga class in just a few minutes, with my regular instructor.  We'll see how it goes - my wife has done hers several times and while it isn't like being there, it's certainly better than vegging in front of the TV!

1. profile image0

I'm impressed, wilderness. Yoga is great! That is not to say I actually do it.

Speaking of stretching, that's something I plan to do now.... and I will. Thank you for the reminder. My back gets tight, so I touch my toes for at least 30 seconds to make things good again. My son, who is really, really fit, tells me it doesn't count unless I stretch at least that long. (Darn those kids!)

In any event, I find it that stretching works wonders.

Have a great class, my virtual friend! So glad you joined this forum. We appreciate the optimism.

Stretching (flexibility) and balance are why I started.  I've not been disappointed and have no impulse to quit.

1. profile image0

Yay!

I hear Yoga is nearly as good as Pilates. Perhaps you beg to differ. Either way, "it's all good."

abwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I stretch every single morning, it's as important to me as my first cup of coffee. My Mom and Mother-in-law have lost so much of their height over the years, I have watched them shrink. Going to do all that I can to help prevent that from happening.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
                  tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I get up every morning and run ten times around the block!

Then I put the block back under my bed and sleep some more.

2. GA Anderson profile image90
          GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh my . . . I just got a mental picture of you doing yoga. It wasn't pretty. ;-)

GA

Come now, GA - I can do a down dog.  Even sit in lotus, thought not very well and not for more than 15 minutes or so.  And I do a mean shavasana!

I still practice my Karate katas even though they look more like tai chi these days. sad

I tried a tai chi class a few times.  While I think I could learn to enjoy the movements, the last half of the class was pure exercise.  "Standing, hold on to a chair and move one foot 6" to the right.  Return.  Again.  Again, 10 times."  While that kind of strain might have been helpful for some, I had just come off an hour on the weight machines and it didn't do much for me.

Besides, it was interrupting my lap time in the pool.

Just kidding about the tai chi, Dan. I'm not that slow!

2. GA Anderson profile image90
              GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

yeah, it was probably that "shavasana" thing . . .

GA

10. abwilliams profile image69

LOL, I will have to try that T. My grandkids left some Lego blocks here. There are several colors, could represent a different block everyday! Betcha didn't think of that. smile

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I have to admit I have been getting bored with using the same old same old block!

The variety LEGO blocks provide will definitely take my health to a new level.

You know after I go back to sleep I get up at noon and do my potato sack weight lifting routine. I can’t afford weights so I got this system with instructions to get 5lb, 10lb, 20lb and 50lb potato sacks and started with holding a 5lb potato sack in each hand of my out stretched arms shoulder level for as long as I can each day increasing the time until I can hold them for 5 minutes. Then I switch to the ten lb sack and so on until I can hold a 5Olb sack on each arm for 5 minutes!
      That’s where I am at now and the instructions say the next step is to start over with the 5lb potato sack only this time put a potato in each sack and work your way up again.

Boring as that was I think I’ll use your idea of LEGO blocks to get different colored potato sacks. Where might I find them? They have to be the same weight as the burlap sacks of course.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)