Are you afraid of doctor's?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (40 posts)
  1. KT Banks profile image60
    KT Banksposted 14 years ago

I am. Lot's of reasons why. I know that detecting something early can save your life. My sister is a 15 year breast cancer survivor.

But now days I'm so confused. It seems like if the disorder or medical problem doesn't kill you, the medicine will.

Take hormones, don't take hormones, use homeopathic. I feel like I'm afraid to take a step forward or backward, because I honestly don't know who to trust, or who to believe.

Anyone else feel this way?

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doctors are human beings, just like you and me, and just like you and me, they make a lot of mistakes.  So, yes I'm afraid of them! LOL

I only go to the doctor if there's something that I can't cure myself. And that happened like 3,4 times in my life. And I never follow their advice . I take the medicine and never go back! LOL

2. Rod Macbeth profile image61
      Rod Macbethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not afraid of them in the least. Except for the wait I enjoy my visits to the doctor.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Not since I stopped seeing [Western Medicine] doctors, and started seeing Alternative Medicine providers.  No prescription drugs to mask your symptoms.  No condescention.  No disrespect.  Logical explainations.

KT Banksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

where do find doctors or people like that? and how do you trust them?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where in Texas do you live...

Flower Mound, North of Dallas.

2. KT Banks profile image60

Flower Mound, North of DFW

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Higher death rate....

3. Alya rose profile image61
    Alya roseposted 14 years ago

I know how you feel,so many say something different that you just stay in the middle and end up not going anywhere.

EXACTLY! Standing perfectly still feels safer.

4. Alya rose profile image61

Yes it does!and then when I finally gain courage to ask someone I'm immediatly overwhelmed,and I'm back to square one.

Plus, aren't doctor's given kickbacks of some kind for prescribing certain meds?

5. Alya rose profile image61

I don't really know.

6. KT Banks profile image60
    KT Banksposted 14 years ago

Sorry to post and run, but my Melatonin just kicked in and I'm getting sleepy.

Thanks for your responses, I'll check back tomorrow.

With Love, KT

7. Alya rose profile image61

No problem.Sleep well.

8. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

Im petrified by seeing the doctor, I have always been afraid of them,ever since childhood because they all ways found something wrong with me thats why I studied holistic nutritional therapy, so i could use natures own remedies to heal my body.
    Its great now non suppressive treatments do work, but its individualistic what might work for me may not work for you but its better than sitting trembling with fear at the doctors. lol

9. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

only if they are dressed in leather and called Bruce smile

1. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah with a whip and candles and their surgery looks like a dungeon lololo

10. theirishobserver. profile image60

sure sounds like a doctor I know ha ha smile

1. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha your bad lol

11. Jen's Solitude profile image84
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

Hey KT, Believe it or not I feared doctors since childhood too. I had to get over it because surprisingly my MS didn't seem to care that I didn't want to visit doctors. (smile) I investigated how to find trustworthy doctors, put the advice into practice and now have a primary care doctor and a neurologist that I trust very much. Maybe I should write a hub about it, if you would appreciate me doing so? If not, know that it can be done although it can be a time consuming process.

12. Steve 3.0 profile image63
    Steve 3.0posted 14 years ago

I have a fear of the white coat but sometimes you just have to go and see one.  Some doctors are excellent, some are useless.  It is a shame there isn't more quality control.

13. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

I only go to a doctor for a checkup every couple of years.  I manage to stay quite healthy, and haven't been sick for a few years.  Just eat your veggies and fruits, grains, stay away from junk food, get some exercise, lose that stress, relax already..you'll be fine.

You might find my 2 hubs on Natural Health an interesting read.  Just click on my name over there.

14. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

I know just what you mean...I do have issues with dentists as well smile

Oh Lord. Me too. And I just put a second layer of Anbesol on my tooth. It feels like I may need a root canal. yikes

I've had 2 (I'm 50) and the last one was everything you ever heard about things going wrong. I was in that freakin' chair for almost 4 hours. I thought they were going to break my bottom jaw.

Plus it takes time and money, even if you do have insurance. It still cost about $600.00 for a cap.

If it still hurts this much tomorrow, I won't have a choice. sad

I'm scared!

15. theirishobserver. profile image60

Hello Sa Toya smile

16. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

I've lost most, if not all, trust in doctors.

1. Alya rose profile image61
      Alya roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah i know what you mean,even if there is something wrong you don't trust doctors enough to go and see them

17. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

I hadn't thought about it, but do tend to avoid the doctor.  I'm not sure why.  I think I just don't want to bother going and I hope my health problems will go away by themselves.  Plus I sometimes wonder how much they will charge and how complicated the insurance will be.

1. Alya rose profile image61
      Alya roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes!!!!!that's what I always think too,among many other things and how they pry into buissness that isn't theirs.I've been late for my physical five years today.I don't want them sticking things in me.....

18. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

My experience with doctors is that your dire heath issues end as soon as the money stops flowing. If they are not getting paid, they do not try to contact you in any way, unless it is through a collection agency.

When I was employed, I ended up with very bad tendonitis in my right shoulder, arm, and wrist. I was also having serious stomach problems. I had every test done known to modern medicine, and received many results that were incorrect. I also went through months of physical therapy.

My doctors contacted me regularly, but as soon as the money stopped flowing, no calls, no prescriptions no nothing. So, I lost all respect for them. not only that, but they were constantly pushing experimental drugs on me, which did not help me at all.

Now that I am no longer seeing those doctors, my heath has greatly improved. So, it certainly makes me wonder if going to them made any difference at all.

But, doctors are only doing what they are told. It is the hospitals, and the drug makers that are really behind the bad stuff. The owners of hospitals are corporations, and know nothing about medicine. And, stock holders control the drug giants. So, the trust is not in the doctors hands.

19. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Hmmm, well, my beloved partner keeps saying "Trust me, I'm a doctor". Trouble is, in his speciality, patients don't answer back, except maybe through a medium...

I have definite "white coat effect" if I have to get my blood pressure measured. It soars through the roof, while results obtained at home are totally normal.

20. timorous profile image81

I suspect most doctors receive some sort of "compensation" for prescribing expensive, unnecessary drugs.  It's a total sham.  Western medicine doesn't have a clue about chronic ailments.

If you have a temporary minor ailment, you're wasting the doctor's time.  You might as well stay home, take some Vitamin C, or have some chicken soup.  More often than not, it'll pass in a few days, especially if you stop worrying about it.  You also won't have to put up with the dangerous 'side-effects', or the expense of prescription drugs.

Your best bet is to get back to what nature had intended.  Maintain a healthy diet of 'real' food.

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another thing you can blame on america's obsession with healthcare, is America's employers. Every company I have ever worked for insists that you have a doctor's excuse every time you call in sick, yet, they will kick and scream about having to provide their employees with health insurance. (Which by the way is worthless)

I worked full-time for 20 years, and every time I was sick, or had pain, I was very worried that if I didn't get that doctors excuse, I would lose my job. Most companies will only allow you 3 days in an entire year before they start warning about terminations. And, they do fire people over it.

Every time I went to the doctor, I felt kind of bad, and wondered how many other worried employees were flooding doctors offices with minor illnesses, just to please their employer. And, how many seriously sick people might have to wait while those doctors or busy dealing with them.

I think doctors offices would be less busy, if minor work related illnesses were just left alone.

21. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

The U.S spends more money on health care than any other country in the world. The WHO has the U.S ranked at #37 in quality of care just behind Costa Rica #36...Take look at the countries ahead of the U.S..So yes going to the doctor can be scary!

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

22. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i'm afraid of doctors for a good reason. it seems like something they tell you is healthy for you a year later new research shows they were wrong. most doctors these days use computers. if they're not sure what's wrong with you they get on their computer to come up with the answer. if you ask me they should already know the answer. that's supposed to be why they graduated and got their own practice.
    everyone always says:an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
    new research shows if you eat twenty of them a day for the rest of your life they give you cancer.
    what's healthy today may not be tomorrow.
    that's why doctors scare me. they get paid to guess at what to tell you.

23. timorous profile image81

The reason they don't know is because they're only looking at the outward symptoms, not the underlying causes.  Also, some patients have a hard time describing their symptoms, or sometimes withhold information that may be important.

As far as I'm concerned most doctor's are just guessing.  If you look into natural health you'll find that naturopath physicians are trained to look at the whole person, their health history, lifestyle etc., and get down to the underlying causes.

Have a look at my 2 natural health hubs for a primer.

24. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Nah, not anymore. Not after so many years of going to them, and they have kept me alive. I fear the Phlebotomists who stick me almost weekly, vampires they are! Last week I had a walnut sized lump on my hand from it and it took three of them to draw my blood. Today I had one that was not so bad, it hurt only a little. I never know what to expect anymore. LOL

25. profile image54
    probafixposted 14 years ago

My fear is so great that what finally pushed me here today was a prolonged bout of unbearable pain and the growing certainty that I should take better care of myself as I owe it to my loved ones..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)