Does smoking pot really kill brain cells cause i don't feel any dummer

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (51 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

HA!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

LOL

Which brings to mind a sign I remember that was up in the nurses office of a geriatric hospital ward:

They tell you that when you get old, you will lose your mind.

What they don't tell you is - You won't miss it big_smile

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

or the Lockhorns cartoon...
      "I forgot what I drink to forget and I'm afraid if I stop I'll remember!"

3. Mark Knowles profile image59

Or Andy Capp, who is worried that he will run out of money before the pub closes - but is also worried that the pub will close before he runs out of money big_smile

4. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

There are all kinds of dumb...how would you know that you don't feel any dumber, because you just can't see it.
    Any thing that alters your thoughts and processes, let alone kills cells, doesn't sound like a healthy situation to me.

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

The smartest people I have ever known used pot regularly. That's why it's illegal.

Checkmate!

2. profile image0
      Jonno.Nortonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Truer words never spoken

3. hubby7 profile image64
      hubby7posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I guess they were smart but they didn't care much about their health or they were not as smart as you think they were.

hubby13

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Care to back it with some proof? wink

6. Silent Assassin profile image61
    Silent Assassinposted 16 years ago

I think that there are two sides to that coin; depending on you biological make up, you can get more motivated, or totally vege out, but processing information rapidly definately becomes harder and crossed wires tend to eventuate!

Crossed wired, I agree 100% percent but I have to tell you, as a DJ, if I get high, I am that much better because the avenues of thought become less rigid. 

Conversely though, if I am high while spinning, I know that if I get an idea during a set, I better write it down or forget about it because original thoughts usually only pop in once and you can't find them again three or four songs later.

It's 4:20, have you hugged your dealer today?

7. knolyourself profile image61

Agree. Marijuana is definitely not good for rational logical thinking while stoned. But may tend to incite one think in ways otherwise never would, which is the intelligence part. Actually reputedly the reason marijuana is illegal is the paper companies. Hemp is the real target. Hemp is a fantastic resource for such as paper clothes and oil. They wanted hemp illegal so no competition; demonized marijuana and lumped in hemp. While hemp is impossible to get high on, and now legal in Canada, will notice is still illegal in every US state, except a few for research.

8. Mark Knowles profile image59

Of course, there is always this:

"If I feel dumb. Does that mean I have been smoking pot? "

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This isn't logic.  People are often confused about the "if p, then q" line of reasoning, and what can and can't be deduced.

An example:

If we take as a given (which we really can't, but for the sake of argument):
      "If you smoke pot, you kill brain cells..."

then we can logically deduce that:
      "If you haven't killed brain cells, you haven't smoked pot."

but we cannot deduce that:
      "If you haven't smoked pot, you haven't killed brain cells."

and similarly cannot deduce that:
      "If you've killed brain cells, you've been smoking pot."

Besides, as my economist father drilled into me, correlation does not necessarily imply causation.  wink

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL

9. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Err... THC is only present in a small percentage of the numerous varieties of hemp, as I seem to recall reading somewhere.

http://www.naihc.org/hemp_information/c … mp.mj.html

10. ZEV profile image74
    ZEVposted 16 years ago

Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it. I doubt pot kills as many brain cells as alcohol.

11. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

As a sometimes performing guitarist, I can state that dope & booze do not make you play better, but they can make you a far more appreciative listener to your own playing. This isn't usually good for anyone else wink

12. profile image53
    focopoposted 16 years ago

increase creativity yes.
    decrease motivation yes
    increase laziness yes
    decrease short term memory yes
    increase appetite yes
    decrease stress yes

to sum it up, those smart people you are referring to may just be more creative rather than smart, and while i'm not saying I am against pot, the laziest, most unreliable, forgetful people I know smoke pot.

The illusion that drugs make you more creative is just that. 
      If you can't write with a clear head than you can't write. 

The Left side of the brain is the artist
      The Right side is the critic
      When high we tend to ignore the right and follow the left one further down the rabbit hole before the right side wakes up and says 'hey what's going on here?'
      The trick is to keep the right side asleep while the left side is at play.
      Then, later (when sober) the right side will re-read it and let you know the degree of success you had. 
      Mostly only works for Poetry though because you can't write real text with your mind jumping from one subject to the next.  Most good writing takes focus.

1. hubby7 profile image64

Excellent post, Funktual. What you say I tend to agree with. If you can't write, you plain and simple can't write whether you're sober or under the influence. The story is told by the philosopher Bertrand Russell of a man who thought that he had written what amounted to a masterpiece while he was intoxicated. He sincerely thought that he had written something great. However, when he came to, he realized that all he had written were these word: "This is oil'.

As to your other point: Keeping the right side of your brain asleep while your left brain is allowed to play works mostly for poetry, I would tend to disagree. While sober, writers gives free play to their ideas and, in a sense, quash (i.e. ignore) the right side of their brain that tries to interfere with the play of the left side of their brain. They call it free writing. After the process has run its course, then and only then is the door opened for the right brain to come in and do its editing and proofreading. So the left side of the brain is used just as much in writing as it is in poetry, Poetry cannot claim sole ownership--nay, most of the ownership--of this left brain process.

hubby7

2. Rachazeidan profile image58
      Rachazeidanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Racha says:
      Why do you want to remember everything? The more things you forget, the more free memory space there is in your mind for new experiences to be recorded. While on pot, you think beyond limitations, the thoughts travel so fast and they are endless and limitless. The body is completely numb and yes seems lazy, but the reason you get so hungry is because of using your brain so much. But true, like any thoughts, if you don’t record them and make use of them, they will be a waste. Yes I agree that sometimes it’s too unrealistic, it needs to be more in tune with reality for a thought to be doable, and that is why sometimes we don’t do the things we think.

About music, yes, you hear your creations much better.  You mellow out and relax and enjoy many different things.

It’s illegal because it makes us think, it makes us realize how much we don’t need to be controlled. How much we don’t need religions, jobs, governments..but no one dares to be this free, it’s scary. Also, because we are not disciplined anymore and want to do what we want to do instead of what we are supposed to do, that is why a government cannot control free people, so they banned the only thing that gives them a sense of freedom.
      Unreliable – yes because they don’t want to commit to time, they want to be free of the man made concept – time.

Forgetful – the body is numb, the mind is working and if not it is traveling, transcending, going into areas that need healing, talking to others by telepathy. It’s kind of like meditation, so yes, you forget where you put keys, etc, only cos when you placed on the kitchen fridge, your mind was busy thinking of something intense, instead of doing the regular ‘store in memory where keys were placed’ thing that helps you remember later. Memory will never be affected, it is something you can train like any power we have, mind over matter.

Feel dumber? Yes, to the things that you were taught like language and certain behavior, you don’t them in the normal way anymore, but that is ok you are kind of excused because your mind might be discovering something new. When you try to connect with people while you are stoned, whether they are high or not, communication becomes harder, and that’s why people say you are dumb in that instant, but in general, the moment you are doing something out of the norm, people immediately call you either dumb or crazy. I say if you want to add something new to life, think differently and freely.

You become anti-social? Yes perhaps you do shy out from people a little, unless they smoke with you. That is why it’s not healthy to do it too often because you lose touch with close people, and you lose touch with reality.

Remember it’s not what you do (smoking pot) it’s how you react and think of what you do: if you say to yourself this is so bad it will ruin my life, then that is what it will do, instead if you say I’m going to create the best piece of music/poem…then you will, I’m going to have the best day at the beach, then you will. If you don’t do the things you promised you would it’s because you didn’t believe in yourself enough.

Kills brain cells? So what if you kill a few cells to discover new ones you never used before, our entire brain is going to die eventually anyway, so might as well use it while we are alive. I really don’t think it kills them though.

I am not saying smoke pot all day and that is right. It needs to be done once in a while, because everything in moderation is OK, or in balance. Don’t overdo anything you do!
      Another advice - use both sides of your brain in your life if possible  

Peace,  Racha

13. profile image51
    mike12572posted 16 years ago

well from personal experience it hasnt killed any of mine...   i can still do my roof cutting techniques    span dived by 2 divided by 12  ..  x the square root of my roof pitch..  dont forget to subrtact half your ridge pot heads...    howeve i do know some potheads that are definately missing brain cells..   but im sure that had to have happend at birth..

LOL!

14. Betty Jo Petty profile image60
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 16 years ago

I can assure all of you:  If I smoked even a part of a cigarette, the real legal kind;

I would lose brain cells.

I would be higher than a kite without it's string.

I would get very nauseated.

I would be totally stressed.

I would be as high as smoking anything else.

I would be sicker than some stuff that gets smoked.

I would not be able to stand up.

I could not read, or write, or eat.

Not so sure about the marijuana.  But real smoke? Yes, it would make me sick and more!

Not that I'm bad-mouthing cigarette smokers, that is not my intention.  I just think No smoke is good for lungs, or any of my body.

Betty Jo

15. DJ Funktual profile image75

Songs about Marijuana:

Legalize It by Peter Tosh
    Wildwood Weed by Jim Stafford
    Me and Paul by Willie Nelson
    Let Me Roll It by Paul McCartney
    Light Up Leave Me Alone by Traffic
    Let's Go Get Stoned by Ray Charles
    One Toke Over The Line by Brewer & Shipley
    The Joker by Steve Miller Band
    Mary Jane by Rick James
    Style by The Lemonheads
    Wacky Tobacky by NRBQ
    Sidemousin' The Bong by Mike Watt
    High by Jimmie's Chicken Shack
    Smoke 'em by Fun Lovin' Criminals
    Smoke Two Joints by sublime
    Hydroponic by 311
    The Way We Get By by Spoon
    You Know I'm No Good (Remix) by Amy Winehouse
    The Irony of it All by The Streets

Half The CATALOG of SNOOP DOGG & THE BEATNUTS
    THE ENTIRE CATALOG of CYPRESS HILL especially
    Hits From The Bong, I Wanna Get High, Roll It Up, Light It Up, Smoke It Up
    Pack The Pipe by The Pharcyde
    How to Roll A Blunt by Redman
    Regulate by Warren G & Nate Dogg
    Because I Got High by Afroman
    High All The Time by 50 Cent
    I-95 by Memph Bleek

1. hubby7 profile image64

D..., Funktual, You're Good--d... good!

hubby7

16. knolyourself profile image61

Also 'Smoke Two Joints' The Toyes

17. DJ Funktual profile image75

HAPPY 4/20 EVERYONE   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Let's do a quick test. Have you always spelled "dumber" that way?

LOL!   That WAS the joke!

1. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well, it made me chuckle. And leaving off the question mark was a master stroke.

19. DJ Funktual profile image75

HAPPY 4/20 Health readers!   Here's my video for the day to celebrate! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgzLw9ciee8

1. lady luck profile image69
      lady luckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

oh my im laughing really hard at you dancing around in your pajamas!!!

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow I never read this! 

Yup, I'm the Dick Clark of hip-hop!

And of course I spelled it wrong on purpose, what are you...HIGH?         LOL!

20. lady luck profile image69
    lady luckposted 16 years ago

did you spell dumber incorrectly on purpose? LOL

21. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Coming Soon

Lady Luck video in her pj's??????????

22. profile image0
    Jonno.Nortonposted 15 years ago

Case in point, for me at least. I smoke pot every day, I can't remember shit. My brothers both refuse to touch the stuff, they can't remember shit. I think some people are just predisposed to have bad memory.

23. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I have a bad memory on purpose. Long story, but it slows my mind down, from Robin Williams on speed to
    what was I saying.

24. profile image0
    Jonno.Nortonposted 15 years ago

Dude, your video is pretty much awesome! I wish you played the whole songs though, I was getting an education

25. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

There are 7 Samples and Breakbeats Videos but the one you'll love is on my 200 Greatest Funk Songs Hub.  That one is genius IMO.

26. Health Conscious profile image60
    Health Consciousposted 15 years ago

Dj you left out the best

Don't bogart that joint my friend  - little feat

The ultimate fact is none of us get out alive

The ultimate question is how many brain cells do you want to have at the end?

The answer can only be answered by each individual.

Besides have you seen the latest study by High Times

Smoking Pot hampers  Alzheimer's 

Wouldn't that be a laugh

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's the best news I've heard all day.

<Hand to Mouth>   Hey honey!   the Hub says we don't have to quit!

27. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Funny thing,  I did a report for one of my college speach classes on this subject and um...I got an F because it was suppose to be a neutral arguement, however the general consensus from doctors was to suggest that smoking pot is only bad because of lack of motivation.  smile

From experience though, I would have to disagree.  tongue Anyways studies say that it does not destroy brain cells and when you stop smoking dope they grow back.  smile

28. hubby7 profile image64
    hubby7posted 15 years ago

Superb reply! I really liked your answer. I admit that I am anti-smoking whether that is cigars, cigarettes, or pot. My main reason is that it is bad for your lungs. However, when you say that do it in moderation, not everyday, I can see where you are coming from. Don't be a junky or an addict but use every now and then to it release the creative aspects of your mind. I guess a little pot once in a while won't hurt you. On that note, let's light up! lol

hubby7

29. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

lol

30. coolbreeze profile image42
    coolbreezeposted 15 years ago

Interesting subject for sure. Does anyone know if surfing the web kills brain cells. I have 2 brain cells left I am trying to mate ;-)

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Throw in a cell phone and it is no wonder we are all getting stoopider smile

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

One for the pot, one for the net - and you don't need to worry anymore wink

32. steimmanbernard profile image61
    steimmanbernardposted 15 years ago

i think not necessarily..  just a brand new cancer:D

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)