Happy National Zucchini Day and Recipes
National Zucchini Day
August 8 is National Zucchini Day or "Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor's' Porch Day." Due to overzealous planting of zucchini, citizens are asked to drop off baskets of the squash on neighbors' doorsteps. This might annoy some neighbors, but a nicer holiday than the "Place a Flaming Brown Paper Bag with Dog Poop on You Neighbors' Porch Day."
National Zucchini day is not to be confused with the April 24th; this is National Zucchini Bread Day.
How did this holiday originated?
Tom and Ruth Roy of Pennsylvania came up with the holiday along with 90 plus holidays that are out of the ordinary. Read more of this on the Roy's website at Wellcat.com
I Want Zucchini!
How This Plant Gets Overgrown
A few years ago, my sister-in-law brought me some very large zucchinis from her garden (18 to 24 inches long and several inches around.) She told me that she had more of these than she knew what to do with and would bring more if I would like.
I didn't ask for more. The three zucchinis were more than enough.
We made zucchini bread...enough to share with my neighbors. We had zucchini spaghetti, stir fried with onions, baked zucchini and even froze some zucchini for later. Though the problem I have when freezing any food item is that it is often forgotten and later thrown out.
Our backyard has a sand base. This makes it difficult to have a garden. We do have a small area where we have filled it in with the proper gardening dirt. In this garden we have grown tomatoes, watermelon, sunflowers (this blown in from our neighbor's yard), peppers and potatoes. Last year I talked my husband into planting zucchini in this small little garden. We bought two plants. One plant would even be more sufficient. Soon we found that the zucchini had taken over the garden. It was blocking off the watermelon and pushing into the peppers and tomatoes.
We ended up with more zucchini than we knew what to do with it. My husband brought it to work. Our daughter brought some back to her college apartment. Some was frozen a year ago and is still there. Do you think it is still good???
Husband had spoken, "Absolutely no zucchini this year!" My sister-in-law said she wasn't planting any this time around. This means only one thing...buying it at the store.
Zucchini is like buying gold in the supermarkets. I've seen them smaller than cucumbers, but are sold for 2 or 3 times the price. (At least here it is.) If this type of squash is so easy to grow, then why is it so expensive to buy? And why are they so tiny?
Since I refuse to buy this gold, I will have to go without it or pay the price. Now more than ever...I want zucchini!
Zucchini Coffee Gift Basket and Apron
I bought a coffee gift basket (Hawaiian collection) from 3DRose for some friends, like this one. My friends told me the coffee was good and I was able to see the mug and coasters. They looked real nice.
Bake some delicious zucchini bread. The apron will keep your clothes clean while baking.
Zucchini Flower T-shirt
In Honor of National Zucchini Day Remember August 8
Zucchini Mousepads on Zazzle
Top 6 List for successful sneaking of Zucchini
Or otherwise ridding yourself of unwanted surplus summer squash
Courtesy of Tom and Ruth Roy of Wellcat.com Their site is linked to Wellcat Herbs and Wellcat Holidays.
I had corresponded with Mr. Thomas Roy on using this list. His reply was, "Absolutely. Please send me a copy, too?"
1) Carefully place a dozen or more zucchini in a large, sturdy black plastic trash bag, then add a couple layers of unwanted clothing. Drive to nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army, hand over bag to nearest volunteer. Politely refuse any offered receipt. Leave quickly.
2) Look for out of the way places which have signs posted, "Clean Fill Wanted."
3) Reserve 1/2 of the space in large, upright freezer, gather all available plastic containers & freezer bags. Drink a vat of your favorite caffeinated beverage, in preparation for staying up round the clock to puree large quantities of zucchini. This can then be packaged neatly and artistically labeled: "For Zucchini Nut Bread Recipe." These packages can be freely given, along with copies of recipe, to anyone on your Christmas list. [Ed. note: I solemnly promise that I will eventually post this recipe.]
4) Under light of full moon, either stark naked or wearing full army camouflage, carrying a machete or any garden implement, run amuck in your zucchini patch, cutting and slashing. Be sure to thank mother nature for her bounty before and after this cathartic experience.
5) Buy a large roll of freezer paper--the kind that sub shops use to, you know, wrap up their subs & other sandwiches. Then proceed to wrap each zucchini which has managed to grow to a foot or more in length. Next time your child has a fundraiser, send him or her out supplied with these phony subs. Tell child to drop them off with neighbors or relatives and leave quickly. It's advisable that a responsible adult hover nearby in a get-away car.
6) Gotta run! Time to order my seeds.
The Classic Zucchini Cookbook
101 Things to Do with Zucchini
Beautiful and Funny Zucchini Mugs
August 8th - National Zucchini Day - Cheers With Your Mug
Vegetable Spiral Slicer
Turn zucchini into veggie pasta with this spiral vegetable slicer.
Easy Spaghetti and Zucchini Recipe
* 2 small to medium zucchini
* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 4 turns of the pan
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound spaghetti, (cooked slightly chewy to the bite)
* 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano
Pile up 2 or 3 layers of paper towels on a work surface. Working on the paper towels, shred zucchinis using a box grater holding the zucchini at an angle.
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan Add chopped garlic to the oil. When garlic speaks by sizzling in oil, add shredded zucchini. Season zucchini with salt and pepper. Sauté shredded zucchini 7 to 10 minutes. Add hot, drained pasta to the pan. Toss spaghetti with zucchini and garlic oil. Add a couple of handfuls of grated cheese to the pan. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Cook time: 15 min. Serves 4.
Spaghetti and Zucchini Recipe
Zucchini Size Matters Water Bottles
Black & Decker FP1600B 8-Cup Food Processor, Black
The Pickled Pantry Recipes
Recipes and More Downloads
- Recipes, Fitness and More
Find recipes for Chicken, Cheesecake, Barbecuing, Chinese, Pizza, Coffee, Recipes Around the World, How to Make Soap, Fitness and More
More Zucchini and Other Recipe Articles
- How to Make Healthier Zucchini Bread
With several zucchini plants growing out on my sister-in-laws farm, our zucchinis have gone wild. We first managed to pick this squash before it became overgrown. A garden too huge for us to handle, there just wasn't enough time to take care of it...
- Chicken Teriyaki
If you are into Japanese food, then this is a great tasting and easy to make recipe that your family will enjoy. It serves a family of four. I have had this recipe for years. The serving sizes are a little small for my family. It is usually doubled..
- Growing Pumpkins and Recipes
Growing pumpkins is very easy. They make good pies, desserts, pudding and more. The pumpkin is high in vitiamins and minerals. Fun to grow and decorate.
- Garden Fresh Green Bean Salad Recipes
Green beans or string beans (which ever way you would like to call them), taste their best when they are garden fresh. This year my husband decided that we could have a large garden and sale our produce at the farmers market. His sister and her...
- Potato Casserole Dishes
Enjoy some good potato recipes that compliment breakfast or dinner.
- Bean and Onion Salad with Health Benefits
Beans and onions have many health benefits besides tasting good in various recipes. Try the Yummy Bean Salad and enjoy the good taste.
- Corn Casserole Recipe
Corn casserole is a rich creamy savory dish (also known as cornbread casserole.) Add this to compliment your main course meal for the holidays or anytime. This easy recipe is much like a pudding filled with corn, sour cream, eggs, butter, cheddar...
- Provencale Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
Stuffed cabbage makes a wonderfully delicious main dish. Very filling by itself.
- Homemade BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
BBQ meatloaf changes the ordinary into extraordinary with this delicious and mouth watering main course dinner. The barbecue sauces gives that extra zing.
- Grilled Walleye Recipe, My Hubby's Way
Cooking outdoors with the grilled walleye recipe, my hubby's way is perfect for a summer barbecue. Walleye on the grill is not only good tasting, but healthy too. Walleye is known as a lean fish. This means less fat, but lower with the omega oils....
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
Two ways to make stuffed peppers. Here is the traditional way and an easier way that taste just as good if not better.
- Chinese Chicken Breast with Garlic
Ingredients for chicken: 4 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves 1 Tablespoon cornstarch 1 Tablespoon white grape juice 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion 1/2 thinly sliced green or red pepper 1 egg white 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil ...
- German Bavarian Herb Soup
This is a German recipe. Bitter herbs are traditionally eaten at Easter in Christian countries as a sign of penitence
© 2009 Sandy Mertens