jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Have you ever been in Turkey ?

1. odalay profile image56
    odalayposted 8 years ago

Have you ever been in Turkey ?

Turkey is the successor state to the Ottoman Empire, a major historical power which lasted for more than six centuries on three continents, controlling most of Southeastern Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. As a result of its location astride Europe and Asia, Turkey has come to acquire increasing strategic significance. Turks are the largest ethnic group with minorities of Kurds. Islam is the predominant religion, and the official language is the Turkish language.

2. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

No I have not but I have heard from a few people that Istambul is one of the most interesting and beautiful cities in the world. Hopefully I get there at some point.

3. Dale R. Hilton profile image59
    Dale R. Hiltonposted 8 years ago

Yes. While I was in the United States Air Force, I was stationed at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey which is near Adana, for two and a half years. I was the Workcenter Supervisor over the Cable Television Workcenter, at Incirlik Air Base, which a Turkish Air Base. My family and I lived in base housing.

4. Hobros profile image71
    Hobrosposted 7 years ago

We went to Turkey for our annual holiday this year and had a wonder full two weeks. For a change we stayed inland at the foot of the mountains the scenery was fantastic.I would recommend it to any one and with Turkey not being on the Euro it was much cheaper than the rest of Europe.

5. TahoeDoc profile image94
    TahoeDocposted 7 years ago

I went to Turkey (Istanbul only) for the wedding of a close friend. It was amazing to see the 'usual' tourist sites- The Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia and cruise the Bosphorous... My favorite place was the archeology museum. Amazing to see artifacts from a seat of civilization.

I want to go back and see more of the beautiful country. The Turkish were very friendly (especially the rug salesmen) and welcoming.

6. jackscott profile image60
    jackscottposted 7 years ago

Yes I live there! It's a wonderful country full of contradictions which I struggle to understand.

7. marwan asmar profile image81
    marwan asmarposted 6 years ago

Yes, I've been its a gem, a place you never want to leave

8. ljv21 profile image71
    ljv21posted 6 years ago

I live here....beautiful country.....but you need to not only see the touristy areas....Outside of Sultanahmet..where the Haiga Sophia mosque and Topkapi palace are is an amazing European city.

I live south of Istanbul in Izmir....another interesting city, but not really worth a stop...sorry Izmir.   The Aegean coast is wonderful as is the Mediterranean coast, but if you want to see something totally different....go visit Adana and the coast towards Mersin...truly amazing.

I worked with a tourism company so have seen a lot of the country...more than most I would expect and have to say....something new with every turn.