jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you say Happy Valentine's Day in Japanese?

1. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

How do you say Happy Valentine's Day in Japanese?

2. Quilligrapher profile image87
    Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day in Japanese?
    I thought everyone knew this!  LOL

Since Japanese characters will not display correctly in this dialog box, you will have to go to
    to get your answer.

3. double_frick profile image58
    double_frickposted 8 years ago

Yukai Barentaindee Dei!
    ^Happy ^Valentine ^Day

4. Evan G Rogers profile image76
    Evan G Rogersposted 8 years ago

First and foremost, it is important to realize that Valentine's day is a bit different in Japan.

Valentine's day in Japan is, just like western countries, on the 14th. But it is about the woman in the relationship doing things for the man in the relationship. This means making chocolates (yes, making. Some of my students talk about making chocolates), making cards, and just all around women-doing-stuff-for-man type things.

Some of the presents given out have nothing to do with love, either. The concept of "Giri" (pronounce the "i's" as "EE") comes into play - you owe your boss and other influential people a present because ... they're awesome, or something...

Don't worry, ladies, you'll get yours!

On March 14th, White Day (please ignore the irony of a white guy talking about it), the man reciprocates with lovely presents for the fair maiden.

Looking at "Double_Frick"'s post - her video answers a lot of the questions.

Most of the "happy~~~" greetings for certain days in Japan use the phrase "omedtou". I.e. Tanjyoubi Omedetou! (happy birthday) etc.  But I'm not sure if this is used for valentine's day, as my fiance and I are both Americans, and I have to buy her presents for Valentine's AND White day!!!

5. vaguesan profile image83
    vaguesanposted 7 years ago

Like Evan said, things work a little differently in Japan.

There is no direct translation.

If a Japanese person ever said happy valentines day, it would be in English. Or more likely, Japanese English:

Hapi barentainzu de-

or some other horrible iteration of that.

6. Golfgal profile image84
    Golfgalposted 7 years ago

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0S … +this+text

or also go to babel fish translation

7. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 6 years ago

I have no idea. Do they celebrate Valentine's Day in Japan?