jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think a celebration like Halloween has any positive impact on children?

1. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Do you think a celebration like Halloween has any positive impact on children?

2. ryancarter profile image61
    ryancarterposted 7 years ago

As a Christian, I try to steer my kids clear of the demonic aspects of Halloween.  The giving away of candy is great for them, but the attitude of "Trick or Treat" might not be.  The social skills that come from group interactions such as Halloween are really important for a child's development.  I just don't like the "day of worship" that Halloween is for some people.

3. pork22 profile image70
    pork22posted 7 years ago

Instead of celebrating commercialized Halloween, why not indulge children in a more culturally significant event, such as Dia de los Muertos.

4. EatLovePray profile image56
    EatLovePrayposted 7 years ago

Well, personally..no..but it also doesn't have any negative impact on children either!  Alright, it's fun, you get candy and you get to dress us. That is it. Kids believe in stories.. it's part of being a kid! When they grow mature..they realize..it's not exactly what it is. Many do not know the point of Halloween. Somewhere, between the candy and costumes...the significance of Halloween is lost. Well..I'm not Christian.. but this is just my view.

5. DStettler profile image60
    DStettlerposted 7 years ago

I think it's a great thing for kids. Not because of demons and ghosts and monsters, no but because it is a time for them to expand their imagination and excite themselves. Fear is probably going to arise for the younger children, but that only brings on teaching opportunities for parents. At the same time, a little scare now and again is good for people. Not a hug heart attack scare but a little friendly jump now and again makes one feel alive. Plus who doesn't like candy

6. Jeff Berndt profile image86
    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "a positive impact." Halloween is a whole lot of fun, though. The kids get to pretend to be their heroes (or put their fears in a box where they become harmless) by wearing costumes. And they get to go to trick-or-treating, or maybe to a party where other people are also wearing costumes. My kids participate in making their own costumes, so they also learn a valuable lesson: they can make things themselves! What a hoot!

7. Abecedarian profile image77
    Abecedarianposted 7 years ago

I use too, when the kids were little, it was about dressing up like Cat Woman or Casper, this past year, we went with friends who still have little ones and OMG. There were more teenage kids and older "trick or treating" than small kids. And the girls were dressed like "hooker" Dorothy, "hooker" Nurse, etc. Get my point. And the parents that were giving out candy were in costume and drinking beer and margaritas.

8. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Sure, besides collecting the candy and dressing up in their best of outfits the children get to mingle in the neighborhood and get to know it better. Since, all of us are busy with our own lives we hardly get to know our neighbors and I think celebrating Halloween is a wonderful opportunity.