jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think the gift givng on Holidays is getting out of control, and puts peop

1. Jean Bakula profile image98
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

Do you think the gift givng on Holidays is getting out of control, and puts people under pressure?

I enjoy gifting people. But especially when money is tight, such as in this bad economy, I think a grab-bag, or one family gift would be sufficient. I think it's OK to give to children, as they get true enjoyment out of it. Some adults don't even seem to put much thought into what they give, so I would rather have a gift certificate, or nothing.

2. vietnamvet68 profile image60
    vietnamvet68posted 7 years ago

I think that gift giving is highly overrated. Our minds are controled by TV, news, ads, wetc, to buy, buy, buy. .

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 7 years ago

Yes, it has become too commercial.  If, I receive a gift I am most appreciative that the person thought about me--but I've known plenty of people over the years with very high expectations of gifts and the cost.

4. Tinsky profile image94
    Tinskyposted 7 years ago

I think its been commercial since at least the time that I was born or beyond!  But I don't think its getting any worse than what it was say even twenty years ago.  Western society is materialistic and we love our gadgets. Humans in general are hoarders so these characteristics don't help the marketing pressure to buy more gifts.  If you don't like having to give so many gifts I would suggest doing something that my side of the family do at this time of the year.  We usually get together before Christmas day and bring one present (suggested spend is $20) which is to go to a charity to help struggling farmers and their families.  I think there are a lot more families like mine that are beginning to do this rather than having to spend $ on presents for everyone. Another old finished idea is to make a present!  I'm going to be making a years worth of play doh for my 3 year old to replace the play doh we just used up.

Closed to reply