jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you feel guilty when you pass by a Salvation Army kettle and not donate?

1. rutley profile image71
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

Do you feel guilty when you pass by a Salvation Army kettle and not donate?

Maybe you only had a credit card with you or you just didn't have extra to give.

2. ultimateteam11 profile image60
    ultimateteam11posted 6 years ago

yes, but even if i do have change, in todays modern economy, people just don't give as much

3. shazwellyn profile image50
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

I dont normally donate to any charity as I tend to 'give of myself' whenever I can.  I know all about charities and how much percentages they work on - very little seems to go to source.  This is no judgement because better that some goes to source than none.  I like to help those at source.

However, I will always remember when the Salvation Army gave me a cooker and other things to help set me up after a period of homelessness.  It is for this reason, that I always give something as I pass.  It is my gratitude to the organisation which I feel are genuine in their cause.

I never feel guilty as I pass the charity collection tin.  But I do feel upset if I see a homeless person on the street in need of a sandwich or a hot something.  If I have money to give, you will find me asking if they need food and there I will be in a local shop purchasing it for them.

It is easy to give money as a way of easing our own conscience, but better to give of yourself with an open heart and with love.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, the only one who might think ill of you is the one ringing the bell--but you know (or I know) how much has been donated at other places and in other ways.

5. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

I give to every kettle I see, or at least try to. If for some reason I don't have any cash with me, I will make sure I go back when I do have extra. So I guess I do feel guilty!

6. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

No, I do not.

These " things" are solicitations.................

I will " donate" to children's hospitals, battered women's shelters, animal rescue............and a host of other things that capture my heart.

I will not be " solicated" from, in the name of any cause, though it may be a legimate and worthwhile one.   

I will give, what I give.........without being asked. When I give, I do so, without the announcement that I " gave ".

I will not be made to feel guilt.

working