Did you maintain a holiday spirit, while unemployed this season? Did your creat

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Storytellersrus profile image75
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

Did you maintain a holiday spirit, while unemployed this season?  Did your creativity save the day?

It takes great effort to keep up spirits during the most materialistic time of year.  Guests focus on tasty food, family studies presents with sparkly anticipation.  How did you pull it together?  What innovations did you discover, trying to maintain a holiday spirit?

2. msviolets profile image83
    msvioletsposted 6 years ago

My kids saved the day.  They pulled out a ton of craft supplies and made sure there was something to hand to or mail to every one of our relatives.  Many of them were more than just handmade by kid stuff, too. 
    We realized it isn't about the money spent, it really is what's in your heart.

3. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

We make sure we each only spend $50.00 on each other every year, since we both know money can be better put to other use, and we're not the materialistic type. We also stayed in and had a quiet Christmas, since we both caught headcolds. We cooked, re-used gift wrappings, put out stored decorations, watched a couple of Christmas films. This is actually one of my favorite things to do on Christmas Day - stay in with the hubby and snuggle! This doesn't mean things won't be different next  year - we might take a trip to see family, as we sometimes do.

4. vmartinezwilson profile image88
    vmartinezwilsonposted 6 years ago

Me, too msviolets, my daughter and husband save the day when it comes to lifting my spirits. This year, I made homemade chocolates for my family and both my daughter and husband helped out with that.  I put on some of my favorite holiday music and Duran Duran (music I play when I feel down) and wrote little stories and sent them in my Christmas cards. 

Capricorn, we did something similar in my family as well.  We always use old wrapping paper, bags and bows.  In fact, we usually pool from the same supply, unless its gifts from Santa.  My daughter is 6.  We always watch A Nightmare Before Christmas and Hogfather.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I actually did. I have come to view my unemployment as an opportunity to write more. I have never been happier. I didn't buy any gifts this year but was given a couple of monetary gifts which I was not expecting.  I don't have any children to buy for thankfully.

6. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

My son made snow globes as gifts by using baby food jars (received free) and little figures from the thrift store (10@1.00). We used glitter as snow and these were practically free. I wrote short poems for people and put them on photographs that I took. Then I had them printed for 10c each. Once I had a coupon so they were free also. I made bread for my neighbors from mix that I had purchased earlier in the year. So I spent almost nothing during the Christmas season on gifts. I certainly received an abundance of love though.

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

This holiday for me was amazing!  Although I didn't spend it with blood I spent it with another type of family......friends.   Sharing and exchanging gifts that will never be seen but will be unconditionally available for many many many years to come.

8. sgbrown profile image95
    sgbrownposted 6 years ago

I actually had more holiday spirit than the previous years.  Being unemployed, I had more time to spend being creative and put a little extra attention into my gifts.  I had more time to spend with family and enjoying the season.

9. American View profile image59
    American Viewposted 6 years ago

I had more spirit this year considering I was in a coma and on a ventalator fighting for my life this time last year. I could not buy presents but sent cards to my few friends and family. My best presents were a phone call from a friend I had not heard from for 15 years. And my girlfriend brought me some real turkey and ham from her families dinner as compared to the garbage imitation food we get here. Life and Love are the best presents

10. FIS profile image74
    FISposted 6 years ago

I was able to keep the holiday spirit even though unemployed. For one thing, almost everyone that I know is either unemployed or underemployed or ill.... so... everyone being in the same boat... there were not sky high expectations. The realistic expectations actually seemed to make the spirit brighter than it has been for a long time. Plus, having used my Amazon.com credit card too much over the last few years, I had lots of points saved up for free stuff at Amazon and I was able to give a lot of good gifts for free.

Really... the spirit of Christmas is a spirit of hope and before Christianity it was a chance to buck up before the long hard winter. Sitting here on New Years day, slightly hungover, the temperature plummeting, meaning the heating bill will soon soar... looking out over the winter and the year to come... I do feel the spirit fading as I wonder what the new year holds.

11. Cat R profile image77
    Cat Rposted 6 years ago

Considering that a TON of people lost their unemployment five days before Christmas and may/may not have survived through some pathetic extension, not knowing how they will feed their families in the future...

If this 'leadership' continues the route they are going, our economy will be worse than ever! Instead of helping other countries, how about we reduce our own unemployment, our international dept and take care about our own people!?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)