jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

For those that celebrate Easter, what is a traditional Easter meal you and your

1. missolive profile image95
    missoliveposted 6 years ago

For those that celebrate Easter, what is a traditional Easter meal you and your family share?

Is there a particular dish or recipe that is expected? Is mealtime important?

2. BrightMeadow profile image80
    BrightMeadowposted 6 years ago

Ham.  My family gets together and has a large meal which usually centers on a large ham that my father prepares with a brown sugar and mustard glaze.  Then there are usually potatoes, rolls, veggies and dessert.  We do have a cheese cake recipe that has been in our family for years that is brought out for every family gathering.  The importance of this meal is really just that it is an excuse for everyone to get together.

3. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

Our traditional family meal is similar to others: glazed ham with potatoes.  Although we now purchase a honey ham because it is much easier to bake and serve. Everyone also has to have a boiled easter egg and usually they pick out their own to eat.

4. annart profile image85
    annartposted 6 years ago

Mealtime is important; there are only two meals of the year when we have to eat between 1 and 2ish - Christmas and Easter.  It concentrates the family and is a great excuse to have special food!  We're often in France at Easter, so might have ostrich, or lamb of course.  The food I most associate with Easter, however, is Simnel cake, the traditional cake with marzipan and icing plus the marzipan balls (maybe mixed with cocoa) on top to represent the apostles, either 11 to exclude Judas, or 12 with Judas in the middle on his own.  Easter epitomises Spring, the coming alive, the renewal and the hope, so is a great celebration. 
    It's interesting to see that others have ham; for us, probably a British thing I think, a huge boiled ham with honey glaze is something we have on Boxing Day (day after Christmas) with roasts etc, and then cold for the following few days.  Variety is the spice of life, as they say!

working