jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do to beat the summer heat?

1. internpete profile image90
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

What do you do to beat the summer heat?

It's been rather hot the last few days, so I am wondering if there are any things you do to keep your mind off the heat.

2. johnakc profile image40
    johnakcposted 5 years ago

We have ac in our home so we don't have to struggle much with the heat.

But when we are out then we have some sort of cold drinks and ice creams.

3. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

With the economic downturn, I was laid off, unfortunately at the same time as my divorce.  On my own, I must maintain a tight rein on my budget.  Since I must use the air-conditioning in the 1940's, all-brick apartment building where I live to survive the 9-day, 106 degree heatwave St. Louis is experiencing, I stay home.

I planted flower seeds in claypots that I keep outside.  I go outside to water them twice a day to keep them from frying in the blistering summer sun.  In addition, I keep a small, concrete, "seashell" birdbath filled with fresh, cool water that I change throughout the day for the birds and squirrels.  Yesterday, I brought a flowering plant inside, placed by the landlord outside the building entrance, as it was dying in the unrelenting afternoon sun.  I had been watering it daily, but that was not enough in the exteme heatwave and drought we are experiencing.  I put the plant under a cool shower in the tub, let it cool down, as even the pot was hot, removed all the dead flowers, and set it in a sunny spot within my apartment.  It looks amazing now.  I'll put it back outside when the temperature normalizes.  In my own small way, I try to look out for life that cannot readily care for itself, making small differences that bring me enormous satisfaction.

1. Amy Becherer profile image73
      Amy Bechererposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you kindly, internpete!

4. zsobig profile image86
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

Drink loads of water, buy some fans into your room (but make sure they do not aim at you all the time - even if you don't notice, this can cause you get a cold even in 40°C) and try to dress in airy summer clothes.
    Additionally, you can move to the UK anytime, it is always around 20°C in summer smile).

1. internpete profile image90
      internpeteposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ha! 20c in the summer sounds nice!

working