jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do you like homemade / handmade gifts for Christmas?

1. lizyetter profile image92
    lizyetterposted 5 years ago

Do you like homemade / handmade gifts for Christmas?

Every Christmas, I plan out either homemade or handmade gifts for family. Sometimes it's scarves, sometimes home baked breads. I prefer to receive handmade gifts over store bought gifts. How do you feel about this practice? I've heard some people complain online that it is "cheap."

2. Klavdija Frahm profile image71
    Klavdija Frahmposted 5 years ago

Homemade gifts are the best! I prefer them too. It's more personal - someone had to put his/her love and time into it, so it's much more valuable than bought gifts. Just shallow people call handmade gits cheap.

3. Goody5 profile image72
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Home made gifts are great, when they are from children. Keep on hubbing  smile

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I do if they are done with a lot of thought.  I particularly love it when my grandhildren color or draw something especially for me.  That kind of gift is delightful and means so much.

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 5 years ago

I think handmade items mean more.  What takes more time........picking something out in the store or actually making that item yourself?  I think it shows the person cares more.......

6. That Grrl profile image69
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

I used to make more homemade/ hand made gifts for people. I stopped when we exchanged presents (Secret Santa) at work and everyone complained about my giving a handmade tree ornament. I got comments ranging from tacky to cheap. Ironic that the materials actually cost me more than I would have spent buying an ornament already made.

It left me with a really bad attitude towards exchanging gifts with people I work with. I opt out of it every time now. I still make gifts for family and close friends.

Last Xmas I mentioned that I was making gingerbread men out of felt. An online friend said he had always wanted one so I made him one and mailed it overseas.

1. lizyetter profile image92
      lizyetterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is truly sad regarding your coworkers. You're a good person. Don't forget it.

7. rouilliewilkerson profile image61
    rouilliewilkersonposted 5 years ago

I prefer them, actually. It always seems like the person went through the extra trouble and did something that they enjoyed with me in mind. That, is a gift in itself and the origins of "it's the thought that counts," I suspect. 

Oh, and I'm answering for gifts in general.

8. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 5 years ago

To me, I believe that you should be thankful for anything that you receive no matter what the price, it is the thought that counts.  My parents always taught us to be thankful.  I always like to receive something homemade because this means that the gift is unique.