jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

What do you do to limit stress during the holidays?

1. Kimberly Vaughn profile image84
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years ago

What do you do to limit stress during the holidays?

2. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

Five small tips to help you destress during the holidays. read more

3. Sunny River profile image59
    Sunny Riverposted 5 years ago

Well I work in retail, which is one of the worst jobs to have during the holidays. When people ask me how I'm doing I lie and say I'm doing wonderfully or fabulously or fantastically and over the course of the day it actually helps improve my mood or keep my mood up depending on the day. It has to do with that whole idea of the power of words and how they can effect people. Your own words effect you too.
    Another thing I do is make sure I have treats for myself on my break or I splurge on a Starbucks when I've had a really bad day.
    I have coworkers who go somewhere the customers can't hear them and scream for a while when they have a really bad customer.
    We also try and keep our moods up by bringing in treats for the group as a whole. It's a great feeling to start off your day with a cookie that someone made to make you happy. smile

Kimberly Vaughnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Sunny! I am impressed by all the solutions you and your team have come up with.

4. TesstheScribbler profile image60
    TesstheScribblerposted 5 years ago

This year I'm getting gifts done and wrapped before Thanksgiving.  I did Santa shopping a lil at a time starting October.  And then I made gifts for everyone else, it's cheaper smile  This holiday, I will not have to shop in freezing cold weather.  I will have it all done and be able to do fun things like decorating and cookie making with my kid.  I even know a friend who already put up his tree, it's going to be awesome this year.. I HOPE!

Good for you! You are way ahead of me!

5. profile image74
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

I try not to over commit myself, and to remind myself that things are meant to be stress free! You can only attend so many events/parties.  If all of the events I'm being invited to start making me feel stressed instead of happy and joyful I simply start saying more nos.

Impressive ElleBee, not to many people can say no.

6. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Drink tea, do yoga, work out every day, and keep everything in my planner.

Great suggestions! I love yoga, I need to fit it into my schedule more.

7. trayshell13 profile image61
    trayshell13posted 5 years ago

I try to get organized early, plan and prepare! Also, I try to be realistic, not invite too many people over, not spend money I don't have, not accept too many invitations for the same nights, not over obligate myself, etc. It can be overwhelming if you let it. Of course, I schedule some ME TIME; and not just during the holidays, I try to set aside some time for me to just be me all year round. Sometimes, something as simple as me sitting on the sofa reading a book or magazine is all I need to recharge my batteries. Those of us who enjoy taking care of others must remember to take care of ourselves too!

I love snuggling up with some hot cocoa, a blanket, and a good book when its cold out.

8. nanderson500 profile image83
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

I try to get my Christmas shopping wrapped up (no pun intended) relatively early. Also, I like to do my shopping online so I don't have to deal with crowds and long lines at the mall.

Good for you nanderson!

working