jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

Are you cutting back on your Christmas shopping this year because of the economy

1. Swope profile image60
    Swopeposted 5 years ago

Are you cutting back on your Christmas shopping this year because of the economy?

2. rfmoran profile image88
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

No, I am shopping for the grand kids as usual. This is one time of the year I do not follow intelligent forethought.

3. DS Duby profile image93
    DS Dubyposted 5 years ago

no I actually think I'm spending more than usual.

4. DeviousOne profile image76
    DeviousOneposted 5 years ago

In Australia - yes I definitely am. Times are tough, employment isn't like it used to be, and things aren't looking too bright. It's sad but it's true.

5. nanderson500 profile image83
    nanderson500posted 5 years ago

Nah, I always spend about the same amount. My gift budget isn't really that huge anyway. I just have to buy like five or six presents.

6. Geekdom profile image92
    Geekdomposted 5 years ago

Yup. My salary has remained unchanged for practically three years and all my other bills are going up.  At least I have a job, but getting harder every year to have it be sustainable.

7. profile image60
    CodyHackneyposted 5 years ago

Yup, I'm not even planning on seeing the family this year. Too expensive to travel right now even...

1. Swope profile image60
      Swopeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

praying God provide some extra funds for you to go see your family soon

8. That Grrl profile image70
    That Grrlposted 5 years ago

No. I've never been a big spender at Christmas. I do things for people and get gifts all year when I find something someone wants. I don't have to make a big show of it at Christmas time.

9. Karen Hellier profile image92
    Karen Hellierposted 5 years ago

Yes I am but am not very happy about it. I love Christmas and even though my kids are older now, I still try to make Christmas special for them. I am trying to be creative by spending less money using coupons or special internet deals so i can save but still give them a nice holiday. I know it's not all about the presents but it's a tradition in my family extra special with a lot of gifts under the tree.

10. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 5 years ago

Yes, we're cutting back, but not because of the bad economy in general. We've just had a series of financial setbacks due to an unusual number of car repairs and health issues, but our income hasn't changed. So, it's a one-time deal (I hope!).

11. safiq ali patel profile image72
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

Yes. Essential Christmas expenditure only. Mainly spent on food over Christmas. It has to be that way. I'm coping with the recession by telling myself I am fasting from Life's good things until times are better. To tell myself that even after 30+ years of working hard I am still short of money is painful. So I remind myself that  its all the result of a recession not a failing me.
    So yes this year its more cutbacks than ever. Mainly food to celebrate Christmas. Annual trip to the city for party with friends cancelled due to economic state. Train fayer to the city has tripled.

12. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

13. tabrezrocks profile image50
    tabrezrocksposted 5 years ago

no compromise in shopping, after all it comes once in a year then how can someone cutting back.