jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

When shopping this holiday season, do you have any concern for shopping local? W

1. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 4 years ago

When shopping this holiday season, do you have any concern for shopping local? Why or why not?

Shopping local helps the local economy and supports jobs and yet thanks to our commercial world, we all encouraged simply to shop black Friday and seek out the best sale. The best sale doesn't support the economy - does this concern you? Why or why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8541870_f260.jpg

2. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

I definitely believe in shopping local! The amount of money which stays in your local community is SOOOO much higher when you shop at a locally owned business compared to a national chain.  I like shopping local for many reasons, some of which are-  I support my friends and neighbors, I support my local economy, and I can find items which are more unique.

1. jaydawg808 profile image89
      jaydawg808posted 4 years agoin reply to this

So you're willing to pay higher prices then? Petco vs your local pet store which is far less in price. Don't know about that. Think my money is more important. That local business is there to make money too.

2. profile image72
      ElleBeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Jay - I am on a budget and definitely conscious of my money, but I still find that I can find good deals at local or regionally owned stores if I look around well.

3. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 4 years ago

I definitely believe in shopping local, but I refuse to shop at any store from now on that won't close for holidays. Why should families work on the holidays? That's what holidays are for!
    Employees need to spend time with their families just like real humans do.

1. jaydawg808 profile image89
      jaydawg808posted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you're employed in retail & the food industry, it should be known that's a part of the job. To close just because it's a holiday affects corporates "bottom line."

4. vocalcoach profile image96
    vocalcoachposted 4 years ago

I prefer to support my local market and shop their for the most part.  However, if another market has an especially good buy on certain foods, I will shop their as well.

5. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

My family does almost all of our food shopping locally. Two businesses extremely close to my house provide all kinds of meat products and fruits and vegetables. I believe the practice of shopping locally is here to stay, as more and more people realize that the best foods come from local farms and businesses, not huge plants and factories (and even laboratories).

working