jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

1. C Skrzypek profile image82
    C Skrzypekposted 2 years ago

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Or do you think it's too commercialized?
    If you celebrate, what do you do to make it special?

2. Emma Lindhagen profile image90
    Emma Lindhagenposted 2 years ago

No, not really. I mean, I might have some chocolate or something but I don't usually do anything special. I do think it's a bit commercialized, but I think it can still be special if it means something to the people who are celebrating together.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I do celebrate it, although I think it is too commercialized. It would be interesting to discover how it became a calendar event, if a universal meaning, if everywhere, and tradition elsewhere to the U.S.

For me celebration today naturally its main focus is upon a Dearest Best Friend while knowing is not a requirement for anything special from me. It may be seen more a hesitation rather than an extra step. Usually I attempt a poem only to be shared from my pen to paper.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

All holidays for the most part are commercialized.
    Even Mother's day and Father's day have TV commercials offering gift suggestions and restaurants have a special champagne brunch.
    Holidays are supposed to be FUN.
    Ideally one chooses a mate who feels the same way about holidays as they do. Otherwise there is bound to be some resentment.
    This year we're going to have a local getaway since the holiday falls on the weekend. We'll stay at a hotel & spend some time in the city.
    There is no "set rule" for us and it varies from year to year.
    Sometimes it's only exchanging cards and ordering some takeout while watching DVDs. Essentially a holiday is nothing but a "timeout" to stop and acknowledge something.
    Sadly for a lot of folks if it weren't for these holidays and birthdays they'd never get around to showing their appreciation for anyone.

5. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 2 years ago

I like to give my grand babies a card with money in it or Valentine candy.  One year I did them up a basket much like an Easter basket only in the Valentine theme. They loved it.

6. KrakyePoku profile image82
    KrakyePokuposted 2 years ago

I mean holidays for showing care and love are great times of advantage to do something for someone that they can longer remember each time sake of its distinct date. And sure wouldn't mind doing something special for anyone at all on such an occasion but really, isn't it awfully unfair to wait for certain dates and times of the year to show love and care to someone.?