jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Has the number of "trick or treaters" in your neighborhood gone up, down, or sta

1. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 18 months ago

Has the number of "trick or treaters" in your neighborhood gone up, down, or stayed the same?

Sales from Halloween decor and costumes seems to be at an all time high, but safety issues have sent the kids to shopping areas and gated communities instead of average neighborhoods. What's your experience?

2. lions44 profile image97
    lions44posted 18 months ago

Without question, it's gone down. When I first moved into my current neighborhood in 2007 (just before Halloween), we had around 80-100 kids come by w/families.  It has steadily declined since. There was a small spike two years ago when it was a Saturday, but still below norms. I think parties and group activities at public sites have become the norm. That's probably good. 
    It was a good way to meet other families, so I will miss it somewhat. But times change. Probably this is for the better.

3. Paxash profile image98
    Paxashposted 18 months ago

My neighborhood has basically done away with traditional trick or treating. They've set up a thing in the park where all the kids go around the track there and get their candy.

4. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 18 months ago

They have dwindled to almost nothing. But, my girlfriend and I set up in front of the open garage and have it as Halloweenish as we can and give out the big candy bars. It is fun for us, especially to see the little one's faces and costumes. We are in our late 60s so and our grandkids aren't even little anymore. We get as much out of it as we can.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 18 months ago

For younger children, declined because parents take them to fall festivals and "trunk or treat" events out of safety concerns.
    It has been offset in the rise of teenaged trick or treaters. I've had to say too many times that if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to buy your own candy. I've even had 20 somethings show up for candy, and they were surprised I asked where the child was.

6. xanzacow profile image71
    xanzacowposted 18 months ago

We always take our kids to Barefoot Landing, a series of stores and restaurants. Children never trick or treat in our neighborhood.

working