jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you feel about Halloween?

1. justateacher profile image81
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

How do you feel about Halloween?

Our school no longer allows Halloween celebrations due to the fact that some parents feel strongly against because of religion or other reasons. I understand how Halloween started, but in my eyes, today it is just about kids dressing up for free candy. What are your thoughts?

2. kittythedreamer profile image99
    kittythedreamerposted 6 years ago

It's ridiculous that parents throw a fit over something that's been embedded in the world's culture for thousands of years. Halloween is a mixture of three things - Celtic History, Christian History, and American History. There are other cultures all over the world that celebrate and honor the dead on other days throughout the year. Yes, Halloween has turned into a day of fun and frolick, so who cares really? Some people are way too uptight about these things. I say bring Halloween back! How sad to take something so fun and memorable away from the kids because a couple of Christian folks think it's "evil".

3. Stephanie Henkel profile image96
    Stephanie Henkelposted 6 years ago

Regardless of its ancient origins, there are no religious connotations to the way Halloween is celebrated in the U.S. today.  It's just a fun holiday where  kids and adults can dress up and have fun. It's sad that some adults have to put the worst possible light on everything, and take the fun out of innocent passtimes that kids enjoy.

My feeling about Halloween is that it's been a over-commercialized, just like other holidays, but it's still fun. Everyone can celebrate or not as they please. Certainly, I enjoy seeing kids in their cute costumes at local Halloween parades or going door-to-door trick or treating. Yes, kids love the free candy.  So?  I like candy, too.  Those adults who don't wish to participate can turn off their porch lights and do something else.

4. sugz profile image73
    sugzposted 6 years ago

move to new zealand, it's not a prob over here, eveyrone loves it and those that don't, who really cares, its all about us adults getting kicks out of telling kids NO when they come knockin on the door for candy lol kidding, its about having a laugh and other than kids trick or treating (by the way its still realatively new here, bout 10yrs i think) and then when the kids are home with a babysitter scoffin their stash, we all go out an hit the town an scare the natives haha

like i said, move over here.. ya kids would love it

5. cocopreme profile image95
    cocopremeposted 6 years ago

Is Halloween evil? Should Christians celebrate Halloween?  A look at Halloween origins and what it means for today. read more

working