jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Ethics in Historical Context

1. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 5 years ago

Machiavelli famously declared that it is better for a prince to be feared than loved, simply because fear is controllable whereas love is not. Is this analysis correct, and if so, what implications does that have for the current election cycle in the US?

1. heavenleigh707 profile image85
      heavenleigh707posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would rather have a leader that I like. Fear wreaks of ego-maniacal tendencies. I have often pondered, in a day and age that makes gods of celebrities and celebrities of political candidates, what would God really do? If'n I was God, I would want people to LOVE me, not fear me.
      On a lighter note: I'm fairly terrified of Mitt, does that mean he would be the better leader? LOL

1. profile image0
        huckelburyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think most rational people are terrified of Mitt, which makes you wonder what they're drinking over at FOX news.

2. heavenleigh707 profile image85
        heavenleigh707posted 5 years agoin reply to this

...whatever Mitt tells them to drink, I guess. wink

2. Shadesbreath profile image87
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

The unthinking supporters all "love" their guy. The thinkers know that both candidates are the tools of a system that has very little to do with genuine democracy anymore.

1. profile image0

It's America, after all,and that means it's always about the money.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I don't like Plato or Machiavellian style of leadership!!

In this present time, media is so powerful. They overanalyzed, some regurgitate stuff too much! You can't even say a word which is not scrutinized left and right! I am saying media act like Machiavelli!! The price of so called democracy!

1. profile image0

Yes, and that's why alternatives are becoming more attractive. When candidates can't run on issues, most of which are foreign to the electorate anyway, the only thing left is attack ads. Sadly, they seem to work. Plato, by the way, placed democracy down the list on preferred forms of government, thinking it would disintegrate into mob rule. Even he didn't anticipate the class distinctions we have now.

working