Why do people complain that a story has too many characters?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Your opinion please. I'll state mine first.

In everyday life, so long as we don't lock ourselves away for extended periods, we interact with a number of people. Say for instance we go to work. On our job we may talk to our boss, at least one coworker, someone at lunch like in a restaurant, during our commute whether it's at the gas station or on the bus. We encounter numerous situations and people on a day to day basis.

If I am writing a story about meeting someone while at the mall shopping.I would need to include the store(s) where I shopped; which includes the store clerk at least. I would also need to include the person I meet plus any other significant people who added value to my experience.

If you want your story to resonate with readers on a real basis you must add natural characters. You can't limit a 20,000 story about a family to just two people.

Are six people to a 20,000 word novella to many characters?

I have 5 characters in a 8,000 word short story and I don't think it's too many.

1. quildon profile image75
      quildonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it all depends, Cardisa, on the story and how the author presents the characters. In every story you would have at least one main character, and unless this character is shipwrecked on a deserted island, like in the Life of Pi, he/she will interact with other characters. And even in the Life of Pi, there were other characters present before his shipwreck. I wrote a short story about an old demented man who was the only character.  In the novel I'm working on now I have 4 major characters, but many supporting characters. I'm glad you started this thread.

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Quildon, if a person is writing about a demented person I can understand one character. As you said it all depends on the story.

2. Darkproxy profile image58
      Darkproxyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think fans of any work get a bit uppity and entitled when it comes to stories. Even if they don't like or do like something they always find something to whine about.

lol lol, I think you are right about that.

2. SubRon7 profile image61
    SubRon7posted 10 years ago

One can have as many characters as seems relevant.
    In my short story of "Thirty Seconds to the Ground" (4000 words) there were 3 "named" main characters with viewpoint, one secondary "named" character who had one brief sentence of dialogue, and several more characters who were just there--had their brief background roles--but had to be there.

Hi James. I just wrote an 8,000 word story. There are two main named characters, two supporting named characters, one unnamed character which appeared twice, a  character who didn't appear and an unnamed character with a brief line.

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years ago

I have had a couple of friends say that a particular book had too many characters and they couldn't finish it.  I think some people have trouble keeping up with many characters when reading.  I like it either way.  When there are lots of characters interacting with each other....or even some that are there for a few scenes then disappear only add to the value of the story.  I like to read, and I read a great deal....it may make a difference.

@Dee. Me too, I love reading and so long as the story is good, it doesn't matter how many characters there are.

4. Richawriter profile image85
    Richawriterposted 10 years ago

No way, Cardisa. You are right. A story should involve as many characters as it needs to give a sense of place and realism to the reader, unless of course there really are only two characters. I even have a series where I switch between 4 main characters who usually travel together throughout the series. Each gets their turn to express themselves. Keep up the good work Cardisa.

Agreed Richie. Characters are what build a story to make it seem real, bet one or as many as needed.

5. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

I don't think that's too many characters. Actually I think you can have as many characters as you need so long as they enhance your story and there is a point to them being in it.

So right Lovebuglena. If the character helps to build the story then it doesn't matter.

1. ajayshah2005 profile image48
        ajayshah2005posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It depends on story.Too many characters do not reflect a good story.A story needs enough characters that makes it a good story. Sometimes reader might get confused with too many characters. Lovebuglena is right, there should be enough characters that enhance your story Cardisa.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It depends entirely in execution.  For example if you introduce each character as if they are story critical and explain their whole life up until the current day and them dump them, that becomes tiresome for readers.  Or if it is unclear what the character is even doing in the story. Or if you flit between characters so much that the reader doesn't really connect with any of them.

I totally agree there Psycheskinner. Execution plays a very important role, that is why it is great to work out your character outline and plan the story right before writing it.

I used to just write without an outline and sometimes it turns out great, other times it just sounded like I was babbling away. Since I organized myself and develop the plot and characters before the story starts, my writing has improved greatly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)