jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What's the best sci-fi book you've ever read and why?

1. Shil1978 profile image93
    Shil1978posted 7 years ago

What's the best sci-fi book you've ever read and why?

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 7 years ago

Anything by Isaac Asimov
    The Dragons of Pern and the worlds of Anne McCaffrey
    Anything by Michael Crichton

Sci-fi is best when it's believable. I love glimpses into the future!

3. Guy Collins profile image60
    Guy Collinsposted 7 years ago

Some of Heinlein's early works and Time Enough for Love - although I hated "Stranger in a Strange Land." A lot of Asimov.

Simon Hawke's "The Wizard of 4th Street" series, including "The Nine Lives of Catseye Gomez."

John Morrissey's Kedrigern series.

McCaffrey of course.

I can't pin down a favorite.

However the reason I love them is that they got me through puberty, when it was hard to relate to the people around me. I'm still trying to stamp out some of Heinlein's political stance that got absorbed in High School.

4. madeline Oscar profile image61
    madeline Oscarposted 7 years ago

I liked the Book Strange in the Strange Land.

5. Whisperindave profile image75
    Whisperindaveposted 7 years ago

For pure Science Fiction, Robert Heinlien's Stranger in a Strange land. For fantastic Science Fiction, Voyage to Arcturus. (can't recall the author. Will have to look him up.)
    I think Harlan Ellison's books were always favorites of mine as well. Dangerous Visions and Again Dangerous Visions come to mind.

6. DR Hitt profile image59
    DR Hittposted 7 years ago

Dune...

Sometimes I'm shocked by what I read...

Sure some other guys have a great bulk of books that are pretty good but one book...  It's Dune.  Read it again for the first time because it's new and better every time. 

You can see my list of the best Fantasy books here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/100-Fantasy-Boo … f-All-Time

Thanks!

Dan

7. Jael Turner profile image60
    Jael Turnerposted 7 years ago

I like Ubik by Phillip K. Dick. It's full of ideas, strange characters, and good old plain confusion. I used to like Asimov when I was younger, but now he just plods along.

8. kaltopsyd profile image82
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I was intrigued by every moment of the book. I was up all night, and all morning into the next day. I finished reading that entire book within 24 hours. I don't know why I liked it so much. It was exciting; especially since it was the last of the Harry Potter series.

9. Shadowblack profile image60
    Shadowblackposted 7 years ago

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Burgess wrote of a future where consumerism and violence ruled. Sadly his predictions have come true. He was also bold enough to invent a new youth language, something that has also evolved.

10. erumkhan profile image61
    erumkhanposted 7 years ago

I loved reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code

I think it is one of the best Sci-fiction novels ever written.....worth reading again and again

working