Which sounds better/is correct, "highly value" or "value highly"?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

Which sounds better/is correct, "highly value" or "value highly"?

Used in the context, "I would highly value an opportunity...." or, "I would value highly an opportunity..."

I think I prefer the first styling, but what do you think? Any technicalities to be aware of that make the second grammatically incorrect? Thanks for the help; it is 1am and I have a brain freeze!! smile

1. Solomon Burns profile image42
      Solomon Burnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Being married to a phrase is the death of a paragraph. How many bad ads have you seen where the copywriter was locked into a slogan, logo or motto?
      "I appreciate the high value of the opportunity... "
      feels smoother and more fluid to me.

2. hirisecamera profile image61
      hirisecameraposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Cool

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I would say the latter:  "I would value highly an opportunity..."   Both seem right.  Go with the one that suits you.   I don't pretend to be a expert in grammar.  What I have found though is if it sounds right when read out aloud, it generally is.

3. bettanywire profile image61
    bettanywireposted 13 years ago

For me highly value sounds good, highly value and value highly perhaps have different meaning.

4. Sullen91 profile image71
    Sullen91posted 13 years ago

The better answer to my ear is highly value. "Value highly" is likely to cause a "split infinitive."

Example: Miserable people value highly the misery of others.

Miserable people highly value the misery of others.
    Miserable people value the misery of others, very highly.

It's usually better not to separate the action and target.
    I chose not to include this in my hub on grammar, because it is a contentious issue among grammar-heads.

5. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Get rid of the highly, and you solve the problem; it's unnecessary and only leads you to the trap of over emphasis.

6. tinaweha profile image60
    tinawehaposted 13 years ago

I would say, "I would highly value..."  I think it is a split infinitive or one of those things I never learned in school, but it sounds better to my ear.

I'm no flipping expert but I think that you want to keep "would value"...the two verbs together if you wanted to avoid a split infinitive. On the other hand, I believe that people should use the words in the way that makes the most sense and sounds right.  To me, the "wrong way" is better.  I would say "would highly value".

In my opinion, splitting up the two verbs is a way to place more emphasis on what you are saying.  And IMHO splitting the verbs gives added emphasis to the word "highly".  Crap, now I have to go look this up.

7. JT Walters profile image72
    JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

I think highly valued would be my answer.

8. poshcoffeeco profile image81
    poshcoffeecoposted 12 years ago

In my opinion in contex, value highly would be the way that I would use it, but what do I know. Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling and to hell with it. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

9. Nancy Owens profile image81
    Nancy Owensposted 7 years ago

Saying, "I would highly value an opportunity..." would probably be most clear to the receiver. It all depends on the tone you use and how you emphasize your words. In formal conversations, it is usually best to be clear and to the point. Things to think about before choosing your words: To whom are you speaking? Is this person an authority figure? What type of personality does this person have? Try to emulate the other person's linguistic style. Does he or she speak formally or casually? Does this person use simple words, or do they have a large vocabulary?

10. Larry Fish profile image66
    Larry Fishposted 6 years ago

A lot of times I come across the same thing when I am writing. Should those two words be this way or that way. I will read it over and over and after a few times the obvious usually comes to me. It is most often on how it is appearing in the sentence. What fits best,
    what sounds the best, what is the most proper, all questions that need to be answered. I usually write with the program, Grammarly, that often picks up mistakes.

11. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Depending on where the other words are placed in the sentence...in other words, "the sentence structure."
    "I would highly value an opportunity."  or  That's an opportunity I would value highly.  I believe either way you have shown is correct & it's a matter of preference choice. How does it sound to you?
    IMHO, I say each sentence to my self at least once or twice and then use the one that sounds the best.

12. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Seems like the responses here pretty well cover the topic but I'll add that I might choose value highly for a written dialogue and highly value in a business letter.

13. annart profile image83
    annartposted 6 years ago

To say 'I would value highly' is technically correct as you do not have a split infinitive.  However,  'I would highly value' can sound better in general conversation as it flows well.  It is also used to emphasise the 'highly' element.  So I think it's a personal choice.  These days, generally you can go with your own gut feeling.
    These grammar questions often cause arguments but we need to 'hang loose' I think; rules were made to be broken!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)