jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why is sarcasm lost on some people, yet others seem to 'get it' right away?

1. Sweetsusieg profile image85
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

Why is sarcasm lost on some people, yet others seem to 'get it' right away?

I personally love good sarcasm, even if it is sent in my general direction.  Why are some people just totally humorless?

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

One has to have a sarcastic sense of humor in order to recognize it as humor rather than insult.

3. wyanjen profile image81
    wyanjenposted 7 years ago

Hey, everybody is entitled to be stupid from time to time.
    Some people just abuse the privilege.

4. lifeisabeach profile image60
    lifeisabeachposted 7 years ago

There are various reasons why people do not understand your sarcasm.. Different upbringing, class, education, age, nationality are just some of the things I can pick from the top of my head.

5. sofs profile image83
    sofsposted 7 years ago

Put it down to the nuances of the language, even though English is spoken world over, each nation has its special words and style which also find their way to the dictionaries.
    Humour is lost because of the gap in understanding, or also because every one has not got the same capacity as you to take some ribbing well.

6. jcales profile image62
    jcalesposted 7 years ago

they are not fond of comedy, it is their enemy similar to prop 8. life should be care-free, dancing in the streets, parades, marriages and divorces and non-traditional things

7. Timetothink profile image60
    Timetothinkposted 6 years ago

The timing may be wrong.  People are often stressed and preoccupied so if you don't approach them when their mind is clear they wont 'get it'.

8. justamber profile image60
    justamberposted 6 years ago

yeah I don't get it either, I'm all about sarcasm! I think they don't "get it" because they don't want to.