jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why do we seem to try to find something wrong with good people?

1. IDONO profile image80
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

Why do we seem to try to find something wrong with good people?

Whether it be a politician, sports hero, religious person, company C.E.O. or a volunteer at the food bank, it seems that many, immediately try to " dig up the dirt" on someone. Is the only way we can make ourselves look good, by making others look bad? What's your take?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

We find something wrong with everybody, not just good people. Yes, it helps us feel better, knowing that no one is perfect.

1. IDONO profile image80
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. But, we all know that no one is perfect. I guess many are just lazy. It is easier to try to drag someone down than to build themselves up. Thx

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It is a very interesting thing really, and I am not sure why unless as Iburmaster says, it makes us feel better to know that no one is perfect.  It does seem that the more successful someone is the more we tend to pick them apart and look for those imperfections.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Everyone does not try to find something wrong with good people. However, many people try to find something wrong with good people, and that attracts attention. Some people will think that a person is not good because they have different political and religious beliefs, different skin color, or some noticeable imperfection.

Furthermore, some people who are often revered as good people, turn out not to be so good because of some secret they have kept or something they failed to do.

Thus, it becomes a matter of trust. Unfortunately, some people are untrustworthy and many people just do not believe that there can be good people, be it the man who works, never cheats on his wife, provides for his family and attends church every Sunday, or the elected official, who admits he had an affair with his secretary while on a trip paid for with public funds. Since we are not perfect, someone can always find something wrong with "good people."

5. LongTimeMother profile image95
    LongTimeMotherposted 5 years ago

I don't try to find something wrong with good people. I enjoy good people. I don't believe a person has to be perfect to be good. If there's some good quality about them, that's good enough for me.

I'm always disappointed if they turn out to be rotten, but I'm certainly not in a hurry to diminish their shine.

6. Kate Mc Bride profile image88
    Kate Mc Brideposted 4 years ago

As far as I know,this is about self respect. People who don't respect themselves "dig up the dirt" as you say even if there is no dirt. It is a curious quirk of human nature.

working