jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is a Mantra? Or what does a Mantra mean?

1. WoodsmensPost profile image69
    WoodsmensPostposted 7 years ago

What is a Mantra? Or what does a Mantra mean?

2. profile image53
    masterartsposted 7 years ago

According to Indian vedic literature mantra are a group of words, sounds that is capable of creating a transformation in yourself. This transformation varies according to the type of mantra used
    Mantra is oftenly used in meditation to awaken various chakras of the body.
    for example:  The third eye chakra . the mantra " om" specifically used to awaken this chakra.
    Repeated use of the mantra while concentrating on it leads to the awakening of the chakra.

There are several chakras . Once you awaken all of them you awaken your inner self

3. profile image0
    babygirl 51posted 7 years ago

Unlocking the mind of the constant flow of your thoughts.
    Mantra come from mind and Liberation. I Hope that this help.

4. nigflte profile image39
    nigflteposted 7 years ago

mantra is something like sound, phrase that is consistently repeated

5. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 7 years ago

A mantra is believed to connect us to the different vibratory levels that exist. Kinda like when our TV or radio tunes into the different wave lengths that bring images and sound to our TV or sound to our radios. Crystals are beveled to a certain frequency that pick up these waves when they are earthed (I think thats what the term is). Inside TVs. Not sure how satelite works if it works the same way.

Mantras therefore tune you in so to speak. Listening to a certain type of music can do that for some too.

6. internett1t3 profile image55
    internett1t3posted 7 years ago

A mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that are considered capable of "creating transformation" (cf. spiritual transformation). Their use and type varies according to the school and philosophy associated with the mantra.

7. Jean Bakula profile image97
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

A mantra is a sound that you repeat over and over in your thoughts during meditation, so it blocks other thoughts out from your conscious mind. "Om" is the most popular. A good Sanskrit one is "Om Na ma Shi va ya" which means, "I honor the divinity which resides in me." But it can be any nonsense syllable or set of them. If it is a word it may not work, as you will have associations with that word. Best of luck with your meditation!