Writing for money or creating content for love? What is the best way to start ou

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Article Magick profile image59
    Article Magickposted 13 years ago

Writing for money or creating content for love? What is the best way to start out when writing...

articles online..?

When I first came online, I had no idea what to do but I knew I needed to make money (my bank manager knew too).. the problem was, everywhere I turned I got different advice on how to make money on the internet..

Some told me to do what I enjoyed, build a niche business doing something I already had an interest in and would be able to stick with..

Others advised me to find a profitable niche and tap into it.. become a source of knowledge after choosing my niche.

So, what is your opinion and why?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4298801_f260.jpg

2. Mark Ewbie profile image61
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Bother.  I come here to answer and I don't actually know.  I can't even say what works for me, because as yet I haven't been successful money wise.

Er.  I am learning how to write stuff that works, in terms of interesting the people who find it.  I am learning how to monetise that writing.

So, basically, it's a learning curve.

This may be the worst ever answer.

3. Nick B profile image77
    Nick Bposted 13 years ago

Mark and Article Magick, fret not.

I started writing for free sites, believing that I was at least as good a writer as those others whose stories and articles I had been reading. However, although I derive a great deal of pleasure writing for free, it doesn't pay the bills

You like me and everyone else who wants to make money writing are up against the same issues - is what you're writing interesting enough and does it fall under those subject categories that make money?

I write both stories and articles, but the actual folding stuff is still just as elusive as it's ever been in both areas.

I would like to say that you CAN make money from writing, but firstly it depends upon the subject matter and secondly, how good you are as a writer.

Remember too that as far as subject matter is concerned, the internet is an incredibly BIG place and what may seem like a novel idea to you may already have been done to death by countless others.

However, don't let that deter you. It's never put me off and whilst I'm not living in the lap of luxury, I will persist with writing, as it's really the only thing I'm any good at.

I believe that I will make a success of it, but I'm just not going to hold my breath if you know what I mean.

4. Neil Ashworth profile image41
    Neil Ashworthposted 13 years ago

A mixture of both is needed if building an online empire through your articles...

Write on a topic you have some long term interest in but only if there is a good market for that topic. There are ways to uncover profitable niches which are still not that competitive and once you have done this it's all about ongoing work and article creation..

5. Mavis Nong profile image60
    Mavis Nongposted 13 years ago

You need to have a passion for what you're doing or want to pursue. And yes, it's important to find your niche and create content that is tailor-made to their needs.

If you do what yo do online, just for the sake of making money, it will show and you'll repel your readers/prospects.

6. phamer13 profile image59
    phamer13posted 13 years ago

Once you determine the topic you are most knowledgeable and have long term interest, check out the subject on Google to determine the online interest.  If it is not too competitive, start creating articles and blogs. This should be an ongoing endeavor to increase your chance of becoming noticed and recognized as an authority on the subject.

7. Liv Senstad profile image60
    Liv Senstadposted 13 years ago

If the work I do is done out of love and passion- -also online work- -I will for sure do a better job than I would if I am lacking interest in my activities. But if I am to build a niche business within something I love, I have to find a niche suitable an online business- - because my purpose is to earn money. Then I would probably stick with it and people would feel my enthusiasm.

8. Salliebb profile image60
    Salliebbposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4304711_f260.jpg

My passion is Rescue Dogs, but I fear this is a subject that is not too lucrative. Thus, I will write about weatlh management and internet marketing, then retwrite to optimize search engines. This is not only creative writing, but search engine optimizing science.
    I do feel passion for exploring wealth management and preservation and certainly there are enough facets of internet marketing to go around for everyone's articles. I find it all fascinating and that is what gets the creative juices going.

9. Terje Sannarnes profile image61
    Terje Sannarnesposted 13 years ago

Hey Article Magick,
    we all have heard the promotion about making money online, is easy. Well, it's not. You need to be persistent in what you do, and never give up.
    Writing articles are one way to start making money online, but not if you don't have a clue on how to drive traffic to your articles and how to write them so that Google bot "loves" your articles and get them indexed in Google search. I think it's important to learn the skill of search engine optimization(SEO) no matter what type of marketing you are up to online. Knowledge in SEO will give you many advantages online. Some examples of this is, for instance, reducing your cost utilizing Pay Per Click marketing. Proper SEO on your pages will give that effect in Google AdWords. The Google bot which "read" our pages/articles are the same "bot" for scanning your content for indexing in Google Search and for price setting of your Google AdWords chosen keywords. Always provide unique content of high value and you will be amazed how much traffic you will get.
    One last piece of advise, if someone offer a free product or program, skip it, because if you want to have success online you must be willing to invest in yourself and your future, and how are you gonna make a lot of money, if the program is free anyway. There is always a catch or a next step, which will demand a use of your credit card or your Paypal account.

Wow, that was a long answer to a question, but to wrap it up, I would say writing content for love, because getting true followers and people who really "adore" your work, will make you more money in the end, than writing for the sole purpose of generating money.

To your success

Terje Sannarnes

10. daveknowscars profile image68
    daveknowscarsposted 13 years ago

I think you have to write first for passion... as this is no get rich quick scheme. I just started here at Hubpages and actually feel a little bad because money is my main motivation... I've been writing a successful auto blog for almost a year, I finally added Google AdSense to it... after about 8 months... again, with some hesitation, but I made over $100 in ad clicks my first month.

Concentrate on quality content and high search engine rankings through good use of keywords, words you know people are using to find content like yours... write a lot, and often and eventually the rest will fall into place.

I could never make it long term if I decided to write about cell phones and iPods... it's not always easy writing a car article, and it's almost all I ever think about, cars.

11. medicfrogs profile image66
    medicfrogsposted 13 years ago

I guess my advice in this situation is just to never let money be your motivator for anything, instead let money become the perk that comes from doing something you love. Think about people who are driven by money, like car salesmen, law offices, and insurance companies. Do you have a positive view of any of those 3 kinds of people I just mentioned? Probably not, because their intentions become clear through their actions, just like yours would become clear to readers if you build with the sole intention of producing revenue.

So the best thing to do would be to focus on something you love and care about, do it with the intention of enjoying what you are hubbing about. Once you get a strong network of dedicated followers and become well researched on your topic, then you can start thinking of ways to get paid for doing what you enjoy. This is called "building a strong foundation" and is better for the long run.

1. profile image53
      faithful2018posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I wish to know a lot about this business i am new on here and i don't know nothing about it , i want to learn it i can find someone who will teach me as well .

12. Jan Fowler profile image61
    Jan Fowlerposted 13 years ago

I would never have started writing articles had it not been for money. I only found out about article writing online when I started my internet marketing career. However, at first I found I could only write pieces about things that meant something to me, such as, motivational articles or positive mental attitude articles. That is what moved me about the business.

My husband llikes to make his articles about business tools, procedures and marketing tips. Maybe that is the difference between the male and female mind.

I can tell that as I put more articles up on the internet I will want to move my writing into other areas. But that will require doing some research first and not just writing from experience and intuition.

Is there a best way to start out? I seem to fit into both models, for money and for content I love. Whatever it takes to get you writing in the first place seems like the best way to me.

13. JMattingly profile image37
    JMattinglyposted 13 years ago

I believe the best way to start writing is to focus on something you are passionate about.  Unless you are a natural writer, it's going to be very difficult to sustain a writing hobby or career if you don't love it.

14. Rob Hanlon profile image62
    Rob Hanlonposted 13 years ago

Passion.

I think one has to believe in what one writes passionately rather than create something 'made to order' for money.

Writing for money can be a challenge and create it's own passion in achieving something that brings reward(s).

Think a person knows where/when their own morals clash in what they write and the value it has for them.

Would it make a writer happy to produce something that sold well but didn't give them anything else other than money ?

Personally, I write for pleasure, it's an outlet. If I were to try and generate income from writing I think the pleasure would evaporate.

Good luck with your writing.

15. garyyoungberg profile image60
    garyyoungbergposted 13 years ago

I will say that it is a combination of the two.  First of all you wouldn’t even have encountered this question if you had no interest in the general subject category.  The fact that you are here shows some degree of interest.
    I had lunch yesterday with someone who wanted to sell me an insurance policy.  After we discussed insurance issues, he asked me about my current business interests.  I told him how I was pursuing more knowledge concerning internet marketing and explained a little about the power this knowledge offers for marketers of any product or service.  At the end of the conversation he said, “I can tell you are really excited about this internet marketing.   Can you send me some information about it?”  It was not the cold information that got his interest.  It was my sincere interest and excitement.
    So, back to the question… Although income is a natural, desired goal, sincere interest and enthusiasm needs to exist to excel in any endeavor.  If you love what you do, you will be enthusiastic.  Others will feel your excitement in your conversation and in your writing.  You will succeed.

16. realtalker profile image38
    realtalkerposted 13 years ago

I write for both reasons actually. I have found that as long as you have the determination and passion to research different things and write a few sentences on them at least, you can make at least a little profit from it in the end.

17. profile image0
    Kstroud33posted 13 years ago

Writing for the love of it because if you do then I believe the money will come.

18. katescottuk profile image60
    katescottukposted 13 years ago

I almost always write for love rather than money.  If money comes along, then its a nice bonus...

19. bznzstudiesonline profile image58
    bznzstudiesonlineposted 13 years ago

Writing for money would sound very desperate. I definitely think that's not the way to go. People are more cynical these days. Better to create a content you love. Then more likely you'll attract people who believes in what you believe.

20. tmgoldmarketing profile image61
    tmgoldmarketingposted 13 years ago

I believe that if you write good content and write about what you believe in and have a passion for, the money will come.

21. profile image0
    technibzposted 12 years ago

If you really need money right now and have a talent in writing, try joining online outsourcing sites like oDesk. Treat it like real work and it will treat you well. If you don't want work, start a blog or build an account for hubpages (squidoo is another option but too strict). "Others" is right. Finding a topic you really love is important because people will know whether your out just to make money or give them something. Write from the heart (plus a little SEO & a few creative marketing tricks) and you will find your reader base increasing and cash flowing. Takes around months to get around. How do I know? I've been through both and have a pretty set online income.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)