jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are your thoughts on tragic endings in books/movies?

1. Sarah Masson profile image70
    Sarah Massonposted 7 years ago

What are your thoughts on tragic endings in books/movies?

2. Edlira profile image68
    Edliraposted 7 years ago

Depends on how much you relate to the charachters, like or sympathize with them. Mine would be why did it have to end like that? I remember when I finished reading Three comrades by Erih Mariah Remarque, I cried and got stuck with its ending for a while :-).

3. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

I have  always found myself unsettled by tragic endings  , perhaps its a good thing though to remind  us that, That's life.

4. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 7 years ago

I am so relentlessly positive I always find them unsettling.When they seem inappropriately tagged on I get more annoyed. But sometimes a good tragedy is far more memorable than a 'happily ever after' and makes sense for the story and its trajectory. I doubt if I can ever write a proper tragic ending... but one never knows!

5. europewalker profile image77
    europewalkerposted 7 years ago

In reading a good book or watching a movie, you always hope for a happy ending. The realities of life prove that tragic endings do exist and are portrayed in books and movies..

6. Klena profile image65
    Klenaposted 7 years ago

I actually really appreciate them. If a book is really tragic, to the point where I end up crying, then I feel really calm afterwards because it's cathartic.

You can't appreciate the good without the bad!

7. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 7 years ago

Having a happy ending is always a good thing. It's what folks expect. Problem is, so many stories are getting worked with tragic endings to the point where it's become expected, and then passe.

Twists to endings - that's the ticket! How about this: The city is burning, the heroes are fighting for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. Things are looking bleak and our friends are falling one by one. The enemy and it's reinforcements are about to succeed, tearing the planet a new orifice. The main hero fights desperately, thoughts of his beautiful family gong through his head, yet he still fights a losing battle. Suddenly without any warning whatsoever - Henry Winkler bursts onto the scene with a super weapon, reinforcements, and several crockpots of little smokies in Barbeque sauce. He fires his weapons, which, surprisingly sounds very much like a bean fart and fires little explosive marshmallow peeps. Instead of saving the hero, he lays waste to everybody and sets up a new government called "Winklerton."

See, left field isn't so bad. Although the orderlies are here to administer my medication. Squee!

8. bookblog profile image61
    bookblogposted 7 years ago

I'm a happy endings person for sure, in fact I am usually anticipating the happy ending during the movie and expect that it will happen, so I can get a bit disgruntled when it doesn't happen.

You could say I am predictable.

I probably subconsciously choose happy endings types of books to read and movies to see.