jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is/has writing been cathartic for you?

1. Ken R. Abell profile image81
    Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago

Is/has writing been cathartic for you?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image87
    Mark Ewbieposted 7 years ago

I probably have all sorts of demons but that's not what my writing is about.  But it still feels good to express your self / thoughts whatever the subject.  imo.

3. Lisa Epperson profile image53
    Lisa Eppersonposted 7 years ago

The answer would be no on that end.  I love that I am able to help people with my words, that they find comfort from my thoughts. Just yesterday I got a long reply from a follower who lost her son and husband and really needed to hear the decluttering message.   It gives me a purpose to write but as far as being cathartic-no.  Often I end up typing with tears in my eyes because memories and thoughts can be painful.  I write from the heart and from a deep hard path.  Losing a child is a pain I would never wish upon anyone but I write about it so others can be helped while walking the same path and others can understand and offer support.  Thanks so much for the question, I hope I answered it fully for you, Lisa Epperson

4. Smaridge01 profile image77
    Smaridge01posted 7 years ago

Depending on my mood, and the subject at hand, YES.

Sometimes I am writing for a specific purpose or goal. In those cases writing may or may not be cathartic for me.  Other times, when I find myself in a bad place, then writing is very cathartic for me.  At those times, I will write and write and write and never intend it to be seen by anyone.

Nobody else knows what I'm going through when I write like that, but it still seems to help a lot, because I can say whatever I want to whomever I please, in any way I desire. The ability to take those liberties, which are not appropriate in the real world, is incredibly cathartic.

5. IslandVoice profile image77
    IslandVoiceposted 7 years ago

It is a lot about therapy for me,  to be able to release feelings and thoughts, freely. Once expressed and shared, you feel alright. It's like having a conversation (sort of one way?) with a friend, with whom you can be yourself. Our audience may not always be listening, but we know they are there.