jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How to improve my writing skill??

1. Aisha Maragarette profile image56
    Aisha Maragaretteposted 7 years ago

How to improve my writing skill??

Please give me some more important tips to improve my writing ability.

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 7 years ago

There are really great questions asked here!  I don't know if I have "the" answer but I think "practice makes perfect" or at least better.  That said---just write, and write...improvement comes.  Read other writer, especially the one's you like and admire.  As long as you are having fun and enjoying "your" process improvement will happen.

3. Sharminator profile image70
    Sharminatorposted 7 years ago

I have been writing for a few years now and I am self tort. I have found that it is always good to get someone else opinion on your work. You won't always like what they have to say. But if you take away there dislikes of your work you will always find something that you didn't know about writing. Have confidence in your work and never give up. Also take some time out when you think you have gotten all the mistakes. Give your work about 2-3 months and then go back over it. You will be surprised at what you then spot. It takes a lot of time and hard work. Good Luck its not easy.

4. Aisha Maragarette profile image56
    Aisha Maragaretteposted 7 years ago

Appreciated all your opinions thank  a lot Ms. Dee and Sharminator :-)

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I think that reading helps you to be aware of what good writing looks like; if you read enough, you'll then better be able to see spelling and grammar errors that you make, and you can then correct them.

I find that the more that I write, the better my writing becomes, and the more that I think about that I can also write about.

6. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Nothing can beat reading for learning how to write better. Reading published authors (RIF Rember "Reading is Fundamental"?) makes us aware of different styles and voices. We begin to see how professional writing is done (of course virtually all of them have good editors).

I just can't stress this enough: you must read more in order to learn how to write better. I believe that the amount of time you spend reading is directly proportional to the level your writing ability increases.

By reading a wide variety of writers one gets to see what the stylistic and even grammatical options are. When you read very imaginative, elegant, and even somewhat quirky writers, you learn that as anything else: you can learn the rules of something, and then develop a kind of mastery in which YOU are now able to use the rules rather than being used by them.

And so on and forth.

Take care.