jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Prose And Poetry?

1. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

Prose And Poetry?

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between prose and poetry? Why, as poet, do you choose one over the other for a piece of writing you are composing. (Ps - I did look up the dictionary for this but the answer didn't help.)

2. pork22 profile image68
    pork22posted 7 years ago

Prose follows grammatical rules to form sentences. If I was writing a story, it would be prose. But if I want to express feelings or thoughts, poetry can do this without having to follow grammatical rules, but instead may use rhymes or rhythm for structure. PS. You can use a combination of both.

3. LaurelB profile image71
    LaurelBposted 7 years ago

This is actually a question that poets and fiction writers deal with a lot, and it's fairly complicated, especially if you throw in the hybrid form of "prose poems." 

If you just look at form, poetry is organized in stanzas rather than paragraphs, and emphasizes the line over the sentence. That's fairly obvious.

Then there are the simple elements of sound, which can appear in prose, as well, but are more common in poetry. This includes rhythm, rhyme, and meter, the latter two of which are not found in standard prose.

Poetry can indeed be more of an experience of "feeling" than some prose, but not always: consider the form of the epic poem, which relates a narrative, in contrast to the lyric poem, which is usually more (self)-expressive.

The best practical definition I've found in my writing career is that poetry, unlike prose, says that which cannot be summarized, and, in a truly excellent poem, cannot be expressed in any other way than the poet has chosen to phrase it.

For questions like these, it's really useful to consult dictionaries devoted to literary terms, as most standard dictionaries will not elaborate on this difference for you.

Hope this helps!

4. Julie Simmonds profile image58
    Julie Simmondsposted 7 years ago

The difference is through meter and rhythm....

I've answered this question for you in my latest hub!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prose-and-Poetr … e-is-order