jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is a Rhetorical Question?

1. Jangaplanet profile image81
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

What is a Rhetorical Question?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 6 years ago

In a sense, if I answered this question, I would be doing so unnecessarily.

3. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply. Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to think about what the (often obvious) answer to the question must be.
    The rhetorical question is usually defined as any question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks.
    So, perhaps you were asking just for effect?.......lol

4. maria.rose profile image37
    maria.roseposted 6 years ago

A rhetorical  question, in simple terms, describes a question often based on rhetoric that does not necessarily require an answer. In fact, it is often a way of making a tentative statement but phrasing it in the form of a question.

5. parthavi profile image59
    parthaviposted 6 years ago

It is a question that is asked for effect, not for eliciting an answer. If someone says, 'What earthly caused can be served by a war that results in so much of devastation?' conveys a message that war doesn't serve any purpose but only causes destruction. If this were stated in an affirmative form as, 'No earthly purpose can be served by a war that causes so much of devastation' it may not produce the same effect. A rhetorical question, in a way, challenges the listeners that they can't answer the question and therefore has no choice except to accept the implied message contained in the question. A rhetoric will not be accepted as a logical argument.

6. BretSallee profile image56
    BretSalleeposted 6 years ago

Do you expect me to answer that?

:-)

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.  It was a hanging fast ball.  The other commenters put it much more elegantly.

At Wealth Creations Network we help people take their passion and turn it into a continuing revenue stream.  All at zero out-of-pocket cost.  Drop me a line or visit my webpage via my profile.

7. gclitty profile image89
    gclittyposted 6 years ago

Why does obama not understand the fundamental laws of economics?

8. profile image0
    David99999posted 6 years ago

A rhetorical question is a question to which you know the answer before you ask it.

working