jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I've seen writers use "Blah blah blah" instead of etc,. Is it a correct form of

1. Cracknutcase profile image79
    Cracknutcaseposted 6 years ago

I've seen writers use "Blah blah blah" instead of etc,. Is it a correct form of usage?

2. Norma Budden profile image59
    Norma Buddenposted 6 years ago

Actually, in written form, the phrase, "and so on" is the way to professionally state what many people write as "etc."

When I read a series of "blahs," it turns me off completely. It's purely unprofessional.

3. JGoul profile image61
    JGoulposted 6 years ago

This depends entirely on context.  It's a correct usage of a common expression used by millions of people in everyday speech.  It's not ungrammatical, misspelled, or an unacceptable usage like "ain't".  It's just an attempt to more colorfully express an idea.  That said, it's not appropriate for formal writing.  As a general rule of thumb, I would say that if you're writing in a context where you would be comfortable using contractions, it's probably also safe to use "blah blah blah".

4. brianlokker profile image98
    brianlokkerposted 6 years ago

The use of this expression generally implies an attitude of dismissiveness towards what is being said or described, as in "we've heard all this before," or "this is too boring for me to waste my time writing and your time reading." It's "correct" if used in informal contexts with that intent, but otherwise it just sounds lazy.

5. www.lookseenow profile image60
    www.lookseenowposted 6 years ago

Coherence through connectives requires a bridge from one point to another. Words or phrases are used to show the relation of the new ideas to what precedes them, thereby filling in gaps due to change in time or point of view. If I run out of words, it’s because my brain is lazy so I use etc, etc,..but one etc should suffice.  If indeed I add a couple of etc’s,  or 3 etc’s it’s like me saying the no! No! “Where’re you At?

6. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

In passing thought I would think it depends on the audience or the intended audience. If you are writing for a group of English lit (is that OK? lit instead of literature?) individuals then I would say  no. However, if the audience is, say, intended for the person(s) sitting with a casual cup of coffee wanting some light reading, it might be fine.

But, you never know who is hub hopping. I have written hubs intended for a specific audience and others for the big picture perspective. I have used blah, blah, blah I think twice now and thought hard about it. What I do more often than not today is when I don't want to go into the explanation, hence blah, blah, blah, I use a link. However, I am learning and have plenty of time.

working