jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How many visitors does a website need to break even?

1. Sembj profile image79
    Sembjposted 6 years ago

How  many visitors does a website need to break even?

I am in the process of learning wordpress and building a website. How many unique visitors or number, number of visits, etc, are usually needed to make money? I have heard you need about 10,000 views per day to make a living. It seems that there are a lot of decent writers who cannot possible even approach these figures. What are realistic goals and figures for websites?

2. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

Hello Sembj.  I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to breaking even. It all depends on luck, if you hit a hot topic, good research; you study your market and write what both advertisers and readers/ the advertisers customers want.
    For visitors I have seen figures of one to two percent of visitors going to advertisements on any site, of these one or two percent only about ten percent may make purchases from an affilliate site such as Amazon.com. So you definitely need lots of views to bring up initial income levels above your web page being a business and not just a paying hobby.

You need not worry too much about unique visitors to your site. Return visitors are more important especially if they link your site or "Like" it on Facebook or Tweet about it. Your website should be a home base when you post here or on other sites link back to your site and make links to your posts here, setting up an RSS feed from your profile here to your website will update that site at the same time as you post here,., that link building will get you visitors as they follow your paper trail back and forth around the web.

Hope this helps, all the best.

3. AnkushKohli profile image84
    AnkushKohliposted 6 years ago

There is no fixed answers as it depends on industry, site type number of pages, and searches for it.

4. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

It has more to do with clicks than it does views. You can have thousands of views but if they aren't clicking on your ads or buying anything you aren't going to make any money.

The more views you have the better your placement on the search engines so that can help you get more paying customers but not always.

There is also the question of "making a living" a person in India can make a living on much less than someone in America and even here in America it's much cheaper to live in Georgia than New York City so that is something else you must consider.

working