jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why are smileys yellow?

1. Made profile image61
    Madeposted 6 years ago

Why are smileys yellow?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

I'm guessing that any other of the major colours have meaning which might not be construed as happiness colours, e.g. green with envy.  Blue as in melocholy.  Black as in a bad mood.  Red as in anger.  Yellow seems the most appropriate.

Also, Buddhist monks, who are reputedly a happy lot, wear saffron - a sort of yellow.

But frankly, mate, I haven't a clue.

3. Modibas profile image60
    Modibasposted 6 years ago

erm my guess would be that it has something to do with yellow being a vivid color (well more vivid than black and white text) and it also gives that feeling of "warmth"... Although I'd really like to get to know the real story behind this.

4. clintonb profile image60
    clintonbposted 6 years ago

All the other colors like red, blue, green..etc wont show the expressions more appealing, like red cant show the smiling face....so for all this using yellow is a better solution to express all expressions.

5. Made profile image61
    Madeposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the answers. You are probably right. Yellow is a "bright and happy" colour. Keep smiling! smile

6. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Because Forest Gump wiped his face on a yellow shirt smile

7. Naomi's Banner profile image80
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

Sunshiney happy thats what they are.  Most people are happy when the sun is shining.  Have you ever seen a happy cloud...lol.

8. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

It is more pleasing to the eyes.

When I see it, it makes me smile in return. I guess there are some research about colors to represent certain moods. So, I do believe yellow will associate with a pleasing smile to soothe us when looking at it.

9. Neverletitgo profile image79
    Neverletitgoposted 6 years ago

It is beautiful color besides it is sign for readiness of fruits to eat from that prospective it is something showing happiness.

10. mrpooper profile image55
    mrpooperposted 6 years ago

Fellow Hubber Made asks the question, "Why are smileys yellow?" It's an interesting question that I've never really thought about. However, I've given it some serious thought and I am ready to reveal my answer.
    By the way, here is the link if you... read more