jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

In a book or on screen, do you prefer the main character to be male or female?

1. Richard Craig profile image76
    Richard Craigposted 6 years ago

In a book or on screen, do you prefer the main character to be male or female?

2. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

Hello Richard:

I believe this may depend on many factors-such as the type of movie that is being cast and so forth.  In my opinion there are just as many great past and present men actor's as women actresses.  I couldn't picture a movie like Cleopatra having any other actor in it than female. In that case Liz Taylor fit the bill to the tee.  And look at the Ten commandments as another illustration. At that time period, I couldn't have pictured a female acting out the role of Moses, nor could I visualize another male actor doing a better job than Charlton Heston did back than. Besides the Screen, I would have to apply the same if I were reading a book. However I think when it comes to a book, I will favor the heroine of it, a bit more than the hero. 

Jl

3. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

I'm sure i've heard reasearch that overall both males and females prefer the main character to be male - i don't recall an explanation. I think i probably agree not that i've previously given this much thought.Certainly when  choosing a book i prefer to see the main character as a male but perhaps females think the same, easier to identify with your own gender i suppose. Why women prefer male leads (if true) is more intriging,Perhaps it's just what we're all historically most used to. Interesting Q though!

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Female for both book and screen.  This is because I am female, so reading a book I identify more with a female character - also her thoughts would make more sense to me than that of a male character.  Onscreen, also female, because I actually don't like movies all that much and get restless.  Because of this lack of interest, I prefer it when there's other stuff I can think about while watching the movie, instead of just the plot. For a female movie character there are hairstyles, makeup and clothes to think about, more so than for a male character.  An odd answer I know... but it's what I happen to think!

5. Made profile image59
    Madeposted 6 years ago

It's interesting to be able to identify with the main character. I have to agree with Giselle Maine. I think I prefer a female more often in books though than on screen. It's an interesting question - it got me thinking.

6. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

I agree with Giselle Maine. I prefer female, because I am one.

7. DonDWest profile image60
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

This is a big challenge I face right now as a writer. I won't brave making the main character in any of my books female, even if it may be more appropriate to do so. Seeing that I'm male, I won't dare attempt it. It's a problem because women are heavier readers than men.

working