jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Writing Urdu poems along with English translation...would people really like to

1. Umna Safdar profile image60
    Umna Safdarposted 6 years ago

Writing Urdu poems along with English translation...would people really like to read them?

My mother tongue is Urdu and as I like writing poems, I have written a few poems in Urdu as well. I wanted to share them here, on hubpages along with English translation but before sharing I would like to know would people really appreciate such an effort and would like to read them?

2. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 6 years ago

Sure I think all the other Hubbers would like to read as well..I will share with my Followers :0)
    Mike :0)

3. MichaelStonehill profile image59
    MichaelStonehillposted 6 years ago

If your poems are good and if you write well in Urdu, there are people who will appreciate your translations even if they speak only English.

4. Umna Safdar profile image60
    Umna Safdarposted 6 years ago

Mike, your answer was motivating. Thank You. smile

Michael, I can't bet to be perfect at Urdu because you see it takes pretty much  time and effort to have command even at your mother tongue and I am just a teenager trying to improve. Thanks for the answer and encouragement smile

One more thing I would like to know, would readers go for word to word translation or translation as a whole?

5. profile image0
    stessilyposted 6 years ago

I love poetry, and Kabir and Ghalib come to mind as classical Urdu poets whose poetry intrigued me in translation into English and French. Go for it!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Hubs have to be mainly in English, you would have to make sure there is more English than Urdu

7. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 6 years ago

I have read your Urdu poem, I like them very much. However, somewhere I feel something is missing in the translation. Original compositions are great but the translations are okay. Perhaps many people would expect only English hubs, but of course there are people who would like to read original composition. As long as you are providing translations people are going to read your poems. HUbPages is an international community, go ahead with your work.

8. Hummingbird5356 profile image77
    Hummingbird5356posted 6 years ago

Yes, I definitely would. I read one of your poems and I look forward to reading more in the future.

working