jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can I call myself a "freelance" writer if I've never made a dime for anything I'

1. cooldad profile image60
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

Can I call myself a "freelance" writer if I've never made a dime for anything I've written?

Just curious before I add the term "freelance" writer to my profile, I wanted to see what others thought.  I've never made any money from writing, but I sure would like to.  Scratch that, I'm up to about .50 cents this month on Hub Pages.  Does that qualify?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5398150_f260.jpg

2. daskittlez69 profile image74
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

I believe for you to be considered a freelance writer you would have to get paid by the job.  For instance my website is http://sportingparlay.com if I wanted an article written I would hire you to write say a 600 count article on soccer.  Of course the term is open to some interpretation.

3. thebrucebeat profile image58
    thebrucebeatposted 6 years ago

The first person that has to be convinced that you are a writer is you.

4. Quilligrapher profile image86
    Quilligrapherposted 6 years ago

If you are a writer, or an artist etc, that sells his services to individual buyers, then you are, according to Webster's New World Dictionery, a freelance writer. Q.

5. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 6 years ago

Wouldn't that be: A Free, freelance writer?    I think anyone who writes blogs, hubs, is self-published, or picked up by a magazine, or what have you, is most definitely a freelance writer.  I've sold my books and continue to sell them, so I consider myself an 'author.'  Hey, and why not?

6. cooldad profile image60
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

thanks for all of your answers, I appreciate it.  I think I'm going with "Free, Freelance Writer" for now, thanks Bobbi.  Daskittlez69: nice website, i would like to write an piece about the Rays attendance and send it to you.  I live near Tampa.

7. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

Yes it definitely does qualify.  Think of the number of page impressions it took for you to get something as seemingly insignificant as .50 cents.  Also, most freelancers start off with only .02 to .03 cents a word.  Tack it on to your resume, and brag about it.  You've earned it.

8. Stephen Crowley profile image60
    Stephen Crowleyposted 6 years ago

Freelance writers can be penniless... its a fact of the trade. You are a commissioned writer when you earn a fee of any amount. If you are writing and not earning money yet while submitting articles to publishers, you are a freelance writer.

working