jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What amount of time would you be willing to invest in writing a bestseller?

1. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

What amount of time would you be willing to invest in writing a bestseller?

2. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Around what William Peter Blatty did for the Exorcist: sixteen hour days for ten months.

3. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

Apparently a lot since I am spending every spare moment writing-and ignoring my house and kid! Seriously though, if one wishes to be a successful writer, one must dedicate time to research, write, proof, edit and finding the correct venue for publication. I am willing to invest as much time as possible.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

Whatever it takes!  But you left out the most important step--the part involving the editing.  Writing gives you the base for your novel, but it's in the editing which can make it a possible bestseller.

5. kaydenlee profile image58
    kaydenleeposted 6 years ago

I love writting, so I would spend as much time as it took to come up with that bestseller. Let's hope I have already done it, and just haven't hit the "bestseller" list yet. lol

6. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I would spent (and have spent years trying putting together a book that was important to me), but I wouldn't spend any time trying to write a best-seller.  First, I wouldn't want the stuff that goes with writing a best-seller.  Second, I don't really think aiming to write a best seller is the motive or approach I want with my "real" writing (which is offline writing, not the stuff I do online).

The worst thing in the world for me would be to be expected to go out and do book signings or be out speaking in public, pushing the book.   I was once invited to be featured on a local cable news "thing" as someone who writes online and supplements her offline work that way.  I was told it would most likely get me more traffic online.  I had to decline.  "Oh the horror of it all!!!"   LOL  LOL  I can't even stand it when I see my articles on the first page of a search.   LOL  I'm presently in the process of trying to find ways to bury my stuff so that nobody finds it.  LOL    So, as you can see, a best seller would be a "horror show" for me.   smile

working