jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

How long do you stay burned out?

1. princess g profile image62
    princess gposted 6 years ago

How long do you stay burned out?

When you're burned out from writing. How long does it usually take to bounce back?

2. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

I haven't been there yet!  I do keep a notebook and write down ideas whenever they hit and then, when I have a blank mind, I can go to the notebook and those ideas are abundant.

3. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

It normally takes a few days before i can get my head back in to it. x

4. marshacanada profile image76
    marshacanadaposted 6 years ago

I often need to take breaks from writing-sometimes for a week and sometimes for a few months. I just can't sit at the computer forever.This is true of other activities I do like wood carving, back packing, partying etc. I need to take breaks.
    However sometimes when I am on a hike or long trip I find new ideas for stories start to flow through my mind. I need to write them down before I lose them. So like prektjr.dc I try to have a notebook handy.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

For as long as you want.  When you get tired of being burned out, you will bounce back.  Some people stay burned out because they are scared of moving forward.

6. Hyphenbird profile image92
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

I have never been burned out. If I wrote 8 hours a day for 5 years, I would only then start to get caught up with everything i want to write. Makes me feel like I need to get started.

7. Hunbbel Meer profile image87
    Hunbbel Meerposted 6 years ago

I haven't experienced a blank mind yet, there are so many things out there to write. It never ends; the journey keeps flowing smile

8. Amber Colleen profile image60
    Amber Colleenposted 6 years ago

It depends on how burned out I am and what I was working on. sometimes it takes a week. Sometimes a few months. Once it was almost six months I couldn't write anything. But it is a good opportunity to read a lot and start getting ideas for things to write.

9. samhirata profile image58
    samhirataposted 6 years ago

It's normal to feel a little burnt out. Take a step back and don't stress! But don't stop either! Learning to write through a mental block makes it easier when the next one arrives. Take a hot shower, read a book, look over past entries, or just walk away from it all together. But do it with the understanding that it won't last and that you will come back to it. Sometimes creative books help this process. I own a book call the Pocket Muse. It is the best little book of pictures, writing ideas, and inspirational quotes. Whatever you do don't give up! smile

10. seicheprey profile image59
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I don't think that I've ever actually been burned out from writing.  That seems like a terribly sad thing.

11. Brupie profile image70
    Brupieposted 6 years ago

"Burned out" to me means trying too hard to write, especially something you are not enthusiastic about.  It isn't a problem when I'm revved about a topic and my curiousity is up.  Choose a new topic or a new angle and give yourself permission to write badly for a while - you can clean-up and edit it later.  I think you'll find it will free you from the unpleasant, bored feeling of burn-out when you take the pressure off.

12. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Every person is different. But if it's only in relation to writing and not life in general then you should be okay within a week or so. Give your mind a refreshing change by doing other activities away from writing. It won't be long before the creative juices and energy for writing comes back.

13. joanwz profile image73
    joanwzposted 6 years ago

I don't know if I'd call it burned out so much as I've gotten a little bored with writing. I usually take it as an indication that I need a break, some time to refresh  myself. It has lasted anywhere from a day to about 2 to 3 weeks. So I take a vacation, which gives me the much needed opportunity to feed my mind, soul, and writer's spirit with inspiration. We're talking museums, art supply stores, toy stores, fabric stores, hobby/craft stores, picnics and semi-long drives in the country (if I can afford the gas). Doing crafty or artistic things that have nothing to do with writing engages my mind in another direction. Even trips to the library or a book store, and reading other peoples' writing is stimulating. By not allowing myself to go near the computer in the mean time, I soon find my desire to get back to writing comes back with a vengeance.

working