jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do some people find writing so difficult, while others simply must write?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Why do some people find writing so difficult, while others simply must write?

2. ytsenoh profile image87
    ytsenohposted 6 years ago

I think part of the difficulty comes from what we were taught in school.  Just start writing as an expression and practice, practice, practice.  Read, read, read.  Then develop your own personal style.  Those who "simply must write" have a passion for language and desire of expression.  If you think about it, everyone has a story.

3. Junegirl58 profile image70
    Junegirl58posted 6 years ago

When I talk to someone at length about a particular life event, or vent about something that has been nagging at me, I will often say "man, I can write a book!"

I have tried in any spare time I have to try and write poetry, which I don't do often enough actually.  Sometimes the words come to me really easy and other times it does not.  I also always had in interest in writing children's books but don't have the ambition or drive to really get into it. 

To answer your question I don't want to just write but sometimes I do find it difficult to truly write what I want to write.  Does that make sense??  That's kind of why I decided to sign up with Hub pages,  to get into some type of writing and see what I can do.

4. Brenda Holstine profile image60
    Brenda Holstineposted 6 years ago

That's a really good question but I don't know the answer.  I think in my case it has to do with a fear of being judged, and a lack of confidence.  That, and being an introvert.  I've always loved reading and language and story-telling but writing scares me.

5. lotusb34 profile image60
    lotusb34posted 6 years ago

Everyone has their "thing" not everyone wants to play the violin right? Well not everyone wants to or can write. Personally writing is my only escape from my very depressing life, other people have many other things to do to keep themselves busy. I need to write to get my feelings out. I don't know why people who can't write or find it difficult would be here but hey they deserve a shot.

6. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

Perhaps the people who have difficulty writing labor over every word and phrase in order to be "perfect".  Those who feel compelled to write may not fret over every departure from grammar and syntax.  You could divide most artists/writers into similar categories.   

I should point out that both types of artists/writers are capable of producing great works. 

Some people believe the form of writing is most important; and, others believe the story is most important.  I don't know why, but it looks that way to me.