This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Isn't it sad that some here only write and don't read, while others only read an

1. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 13 months ago

Isn't it sad that some here only write and don't read, while others only read and don't write?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5747221_f260.jpg

2. Kylyssa profile image95
    Kylyssaposted 13 months ago

I think it's very common that people read, but don't write and there's nothing sad about it. Not everyone feels the desire to write or has the aptitude to write, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't read for enjoyment, work, or education. As a writer, I love that people who aren't inspired to be writers read. If they didn't, I'd just be out of a job and talking to myself via the keyboard most of the time instead of communicating with people via writing.

If your problem is that people who write on HubPages don't read every single hub on HubPages, that's a bit odd, in my opinion. I read topics I enjoy or need for work or life. I don't have time to read things that I don't enjoy or that don't apply to my work or life needs. It's not practical to try to find all of that on HubPages, because, on many topics that fit my wants and needs, I've already read all that HubPages has to offer on those subjects.

I'm an avid reader with disabilities that leave me bedridden several to most days per week. I consume a lot of written material, usually at least two to three novels worth or their word count equivalent each day I'm too sick to leave my bed. Why would I seek out topics I don't enjoy, often written by amateurs or professionals whose styles I don't enjoy, when my need and desire is to distract myself from severe pain, weakness, dizziness, and nausea? There's a whole Internet out there with plenty of material on the topics I enjoy and need for work and life, so why should I stick to just HubPages?

Or is it the phenomenon of writers who hate reading in general that you find sad? I find that sad, too. It's like hating music and forcing ones' self to compose music or hating paintings and forcing one's self to paint. I really can't understand anyone choosing a creative pursuit in which they don't even like the finished product.

Perspycaciousposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Well stated and points I appreciate.  Thanks for commenting.

2. Jacob Manase profile image65
      Jacob Manaseposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Well said

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 13 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12741324_f260.jpg

Demas

I must admit that I don't usually read what I write. It comes out in a stream, and the result sometimes has misspellings, and the wrong word, like their, instead of there, or vice versa.

That is probably the quality of a poor writer. I was taught that writing was a series of reductions to generate refinements. That quality is not quantity, and reading and rereading your writing can use words more effectively.

Knowing and showing are not my strong suit.

As for others, writing on hp appears to be very diverse from the bad, to the good, and of course some are even ugly.

It's great when new writers sign on and participate.  I drew a lot of personal satisfaction from the time when HP allowed a form of scoring.  I thought that was helpful and encouraging.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
      bradmasterOCcalposted 13 months agoin reply to this

What do you think of hp scoring now. From your personal score of 77 which is counter to the quality of your writing, to the values given hubs?
      There doesn't seem to be correlation between hp scores and the writings?

4. Ericdierker profile image51
    Ericdierkerposted 13 months ago

Demas I really like to write and I really like to read. So for me, I get a lot of enjoyment from both. And so I guess in a certain sense I feel a little sad for people who do not get that little piece of joy from both sides. I am really trying hard to get my young son to find the joy like his 3 elder siblings.

But I get the views that I would like to have. Maybe some more would make my self-esteem rise a little. All in all if a folk does not like to do one or the other I think they should be satisfied with that.

1. Ericdierker profile image51
      Ericdierkerposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Demas it is an honor. Or was it one of those glitches we see from time to time ;-)

5. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 13 months ago

Hi there, Perspy....Hope your day is a good one so far.  I don't think I would go so far as to say it's "sad," that some people read or write exclusively but I'm aware of what you're getting at.
    Hubpages has more than one or two purposes and seems to offer enough for several different groups of people.  I do know a number of individuals who enjoy "hanging out" (so to speak) here on our site, for the education and/or entertainment our articles provide.  It's also understandable that these same people like interacting with the writers here.  (Let's face it Perspy, we're an exceptionally awesome group of geniuses!  LOL! )
    In terms of the many writers here who invest the majority of their time strictly writing but very little reading and commenting, it's fair to realize that online writing is a serious source of income for them.  These would be the individuals who see this as their main career and spend no less than 40 - 50 hrs a week, publishing their work on numerous sites.  It stands to reason they don't wish to take the time for much more than writing and publishing.

The only people who are troublesome and literally disgusting, IMO, are the TROLLS & intruders.  These pathetic losers have signed onto our site for the sole purpose of creating havoc, argument and insult.  We all know who these jerks are because they inject themselves and their poison everywhere. Eventually, the moderators will catch up with them and ban them.  However, as most a$$holes are determined to annoy others as their only claim to fame, they return under another alias and continue their stupidity.  We who are official members and serious writers are left to cope with them but IGNORE them.
    They are a source of aggravation and waste of time and space. They also have no shame and spend their time acting out their psychosis.
    This is just another one of those things that intelligent, mature individuals must tolerate from the losers in this world.  Nothing new.

I meant this question in the sense of balanced participation, but I get it that some Hubbers actually make money out of HP and other publishing outlets online.  More power to them, and the "money makers" tend to have the best quality Hubs, too. Sigh

6. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 13 months ago

Demas, I probably spend about an equal amount of time reading and writing here at HubPages. This varies according to how busy my "real life" is at any given time. I admit I don't have the time to read every hub written by those I follow so usually give preference to those who have read and commented on my latest hubs, but I do my best to at least view the titles of all new hubs I am notified of and read any that I think may appeal. Good question though.

7. Dana Tate profile image88
    Dana Tateposted 13 months ago

I feel some members join hubpages just to follow certain people. Whether it's a friend or family member, some just want to be informed when new work is published.  I wish that if you choose to read you also leave a comment so the writer can get an idea if their articles are interesting to others. I love to do both read and write. Although, I feel I read more.

working