jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Where do you usually buy a book? In a bookstore or in a discount book shop?

1. anjperez profile image78
    anjperezposted 6 years ago

Where do you usually buy a book? In a bookstore or in a discount book shop?

Which one do you read and finish first?

2. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

Most of my books come from discount shops. There are occasions where I can't wait for the latest book, of my favorite authors, to make it to the secondary market and I instead buy from a national bookstore as soon as it is released.

3. Rev Bruce Jackson profile image77
    Rev Bruce Jacksonposted 6 years ago

discount book shop... friends of the library book sales... 1/2 off used books on final Saturday of the month

4. anjperez profile image78
    anjperezposted 6 years ago

thanks @point2make and @Rev Bruce Jackson for answering my question. as for me, i have established some kind of a rule. as i am fond of reading some categories from current affairs, i buy most of the books from the bookstore because current information is important. bookstore are up to date in releasing recently published books. but seldom do i buy hardbound. i could wait a little more for the paperback edition.

however, for those books that are not affected by the passage of time and information like novels, and non-fiction classics of famous contemporary authors, that one i would buy from discount book shop. also picture  or coffee table books.

i established this rule because i have bought several books from discount shops that were more than 3 to 5 years old. some i did not enjoy reading as much because i am looking as far back in retrospect. you agree that sometimes there is a joy or an AHA! moment when you read a book and truly understand the situation as it is happening? that's what i am after... (,")

5. Morena88 profile image76
    Morena88posted 6 years ago

When I was in school, I had to read a lot of novels for my English courses, and I would usually buy them at used book stores. As for books that I want to read in my spare time, or have been waiting to come out, I will buy them from Chapters.ca or pre-order them if they have yet to be released.

I almost always read my Children's Lit books first because it is one of my favourite genres to read.

6. asmaiftikhar profile image76
    asmaiftikharposted 6 years ago

i m crazy about buying old books not because they are cheap but they are old that makes them more unique and beautiful.And if a book not find in old book shop than definitely would buy from bookstore.

7. sweetoneangel profile image60
    sweetoneangelposted 6 years ago

Anymore  I buy most of my books at thrift stores, flea markets or garage sales. The only time I buy a new book is if it is something I really want to read, and doubt that I will find it later some where else.

8. profile image0
    AmyRainbowposted 6 years ago

I usually buy my books from charity shops, just when I'm browsing. Sometimes if I really want a book, I use amazon, other times, I shop in my local bookshop.

9. profile image52
    Kevlo69posted 6 years ago

I buy books from multiple sources.  Books that I know I'm going to put in my library I buy knew from a chain store, unless an older version is, in my opinion, a better version.  However, I buy books from garage/yard sales, library book sales, used book stores, second hand stores, so on and so on, all the time just because they look interesting.  It is a cheaper way to find out if you like a book, a series, or genre.  All in all, my collection is 50-50, new to used, with a my favorites being used out of date books.