jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you write your hubs in American English or English English?

1. samanthamayer profile image71
    samanthamayerposted 6 years ago

Do you write your hubs in American English or English English?

My computer has auto-correct for American English so that's what I use! But I was just curious as to the proportion of people that used American English as opposed to English English.

2. profile image0
    MP50posted 6 years ago

You are right about this....the text capsule only accepts American English....because they are an American Company I suppose?.......many times the spellchecker won't allow English/English in my Hub capsule?

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 6 years ago

Being English ( or rather half English half Welsh), I use English as I know it, with the spellings of words as used in the UK, (eg: colour, centre, traveller, pretence, manoeuvre). Fortunately of course, there is rarely much more than one letter difference in the spellings of words in English English and American English, so the understanding is clear even if people from across the pond may think the word is spelled wrong.

Although I don't use American spellings, I do sometimes use words which are more common in American usage than British, because of course the majority of readers are likely to be American, and I want to be sure my articles are understood. So for instance I often will refer to trucks, candy and gas (all of which are fully understood in Britain) though in my country we would more commonly use the terms lorries, sweets and petrol respectively.
    I would draw the line at using American words which are largely unknown in Britain.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

You can use either as long as you are consistent within the hub.  Spell check does not prevent you from using alternate spelling to US.

I have used both.

5. Thelma Alberts profile image88
    Thelma Albertsposted 6 years ago

I use both American and British English languages. It depends on my sentence or how I feel. I swear for example in British English as it is not so hard to hear. Lol!!

working