jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Have you ever written a book based on people you know?

1. Libra Rajani profile image78
    Libra Rajaniposted 6 years ago

Have you ever written a book based on people you know?

2. prettynutjob30 profile image92
    prettynutjob30posted 6 years ago

Not a book,but I have written some stories based on people I know or have met.

3. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 6 years ago

Yes, I have as an autobiographical novel and as various other stories based mainly on my family.  It's one of the toughest topics I've ever wrote about because it's so personal and hits so close to the chest.  The thought of others one day reading about them which then leaves them open to judgement is worrisome to me as the writer.  The task is one of great responsibility.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

In my stories and in my novel, I always write about real people I know.  Real people (when disguised so they won't recognize themselves) keep things spicy!  Who needs to invent characters, anyway?  Not when they're you could base your work on people you know so well.  They are my inspiration.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Sometimes, when I'm first writing a story, I have in mind a real person that I want to be a character in that book. For whatever reason, the real person had a quality I liked enough (or hated enough) to re-use in story form. However, by the time I finish with the story, the character has either been so greatly exaggerated, or altered, that they bare no resemblance to the real person anymore. I feel that this is the best way to do it, rather than risk someone feeling misrepresented in your writing.

6. Alexander Mark profile image82
    Alexander Markposted 6 years ago

Probably, but not intentionally. I avoid doing this because sharp readers are quick to recognize who you may be writing about and if you do put a family member (or a friend) in a book, then the meaning of the character is very likely to be misconstrued because we all have a bias when it comes to other people's judgments about us.

I do take elements of character traits and attempt to make an original character. A technique I find most useful is to use a single character trait to start building a character and then expand on it. Contradictions such as a dignified queen playing miniature golf helps to create ideas about their personality and is something to build on. Character building is hard for me!

7. Nefarious_Misery profile image68
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 6 years ago

I think most of the characters I create are at least loosely based on people I know, or at least their character traits.

8. creativebutterfly profile image60
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

Yes I wrote my book on my childhood and thereby included my parents, siblings and husband and daughter.

9. profile image52
    worldwidecosplayposted 6 years ago

Not yet. I am not a good writer. I wrote some articles on the people I like.

working