jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is the first "R" in February silent or does everyone just mispronounce the word?

1. peepingtomb profile image76
    peepingtombposted 6 years ago

Is the first "R" in February silent or does everyone just mispronounce the word?

2. Naima Manal profile image72
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

That's a good question, but for some reason, I always say it. Very thought-provoking question, though. Thanks.

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image57
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Some people actually do pronounce the R in February, although when spoken quickly it does sound often as if it has not been included. I think this has more to do with a person's accent, because you should pronounce the R.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I pronounce the r and that is the way it should be pronounced. People who don't are one of my pet peeves. Same with those who pronounce library "libary."

5. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It seems that both pronunciations are valid; however, as the month is named after Februam it would seem that sounding the first 'r' is correct.

6. Sandyksk profile image59
    Sandykskposted 6 years ago

I found this to help pronounce it: "Febroo-ere"...I too pronounce it Feb-u-ary, but with practice, can say it Fe-broo-ary, and find myself practicing...so thanks for the incite...smile
    ("oo" as in broom)

7. DougBerry profile image82
    DougBerryposted 6 years ago

I actually find that not pronouncing letters helps with understanding.  If we ignore the first R in my last name, nothing changes.  If we drop it from the 80s President of the United States...oops, I mean Pesident of the United States, we have Onald Eagan.  Perfectly clear.

I also find that adding extra, silent letters to words improves your ability to communicate.  It also means that everything you write is correct:  you make up your own spewlingz az u gow alung.  Or not.