Does everyone like the new feature that shows how many featured hubs we have alo

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Missy Smith profile image78
    Missy Smithposted 8 years ago

Does everyone like the new feature that shows how many featured hubs we have along with the total?

I'm not sure I like this. I mean so far all I have written is featured; however, I just had to amend one to get it back to the featured status. I'm just not sure that is something I like seeing. What is it's purpose? We, who write the hubs, will know when we have some that are unfeatured, and if we want to, will even ask for assistance. Why does everyone have to see those stats? No big deal on opinons, just kind of curious? smile

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Hi Missy Smith. I just noticed this. I think it's odd. Like you, I don't understand the purpose of letting other hubbers (and the public if they can see it) know how many hubs we have featured. It would seem to make the hubber feel bad about having unfeatured hubs. That should be internal information known only to HP and the hubber. I don't get it. Maybe it's a glitch. Maybe HP has introduced another metric for hubberscore, I dunno. To answer your question, no I don't care for it.

Missy Smithposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You share my feelings then Janis. I thought it a bit odd as well.

3. Dana Tate profile image83
    Dana Tateposted 8 years ago

I agree. How does that help our credibility as writers if every hubber and visitors see how many hubs are featured. That should be our personal business, unless the purpose is to encourage us to now work on those hubs in order to make them featured.

Yes, I thought maybe to encourage us to work on them. But then I thought, I don't really think that's a great reason. I mean, after all, I'm sure we all as writers feel bugged when our work goes unfeatured. We don't need encouragement in that area.

2. Dana Tate profile image83
      Dana Tateposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree Missy, It certainly doesn't encourage me when my work goes unfeatured.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

No Missy, I am not keen on this. It isn't such an issue for me with 232 published hubs, and 215 featured (though this is the most I have ever had not featured) but for people with say 20 hubs with say 10 unfeatured it doesn't give a good look. I would like to hear HP staffs reason for this. I can't see the point.

Totally agree with that John.

2. Dana Tate profile image83

I second that John. I would like to hear the reasoning behind it also.

5. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I just came to know about this change on seeing your question. It is very silly to make such changes on the profile. What purpose does it solve? One can already see featured hubs by scrolling down the page. And who wants to know which hub is featured or not than the original writer. This looks nonsense. Readers want only content. They do not bother whether it is featured or not.
    For my part, I have only 2 unfeatured hubs out of total 33. So, it may not matter much to me. But what about others who wrote 300 hubs and only 60 or featured or like that? It can create some bad image among viewers, if they see it by chance.

1. Dana Tate profile image83

I agree venkatachari.  All my hubs 28, of them are featured. When one or two became unfeatured  I fixed them and they were featured again. Still I don't want to constantly be working on unfeatured hubs this may take away from new hubs I'm working on.

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Hi Missy, It doesn't bother me at all but I am wondering the purpose behind it. All the hubs I have published are featured. I will confess that I am not sure I understand why anyone would have any unfeatured  published hubs. The minute I notice a hub go half circle for lack of engagement, I immediately tweak the title and share on Pinterest and the half circle goes away. However, I don't have hundreds and hundreds of hubs or thousands to keep up with like others. If I did, I would not leave a hub published that is not featured but would unpublish it myself until I had a chance to tweak it. I've never had one unpublished full circle for quality. It may be best to unpublish all unfeatured hubs so it will show all of one's hubs published just because of one's profile page indicating so many not featured may give the appearance of poorly written hubs and so it may be the better option to unpublish until after tweaking. These are just my thoughts I am throwing out there.

1. Virginia Allain profile image87
      Virginia Allainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm one who has over 500 hubs. I don't unpublish every hub that goes unfeatured. It might be a seasonal hub, unfeatured due to low traffic in the off-season. By keeping it published, it gets occasional visitors from Pinterest or from links in my blog

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I keep all my hubs published, even the seasonal ones too.  The seasonal ones do get traffic as you state.  Pinterest does bring a good bit of traffic.

7. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 8 years ago

I am a nurse, Missy. Some years ago, we had a lecture by a business man who began by asking:

"How many of you think that rules are made for the benefit of the patient?"

Almost everyone put their hands up. At the end of the lecture some two hours later, he asked the question again, and no one did this time.

So rules are made for the benefit of the organisation, not you or me. They sometimes benefit us, but they are still made for them.

For me it's good to know that I'm not featured, as I can - if I wish to - do something about it, but the other side of the agenda I do not know. Just correct it and keep a close eye, or they will pile up.

How are you today? You seem to be in great spirits. Jai Ram! Glory be!

8. Missy Smith profile image78
    Missy Smithposted 8 years ago

I want to thank all who answered this question. You all seem to have the same thoughts I did when I noticed the new feature a top of my page.

Manatita, I am trying to keep in good spirits these days, thank you. Although my kids and I are fighting a terrible monster that has given all of us sore throat, cough, fever, and headaches. We will push through. My daughter is getting better now. My son and I shouldn't be too far behind I hope. smile I hope all is well with you.

1. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and I like this picture. So much beauty in your face! "Be free Now", CrisSp said. So much meaning in this. Reflect on it lovingly. We all want you to do well. Hari Om!

9. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9806337_f260.jpg

The feature which shows how many featured hubs should be PRIVATE, NOT PUBLIC.  This feature DISCREDITS, EVEN DAMAGES the writer's credibility to other hubbers & particularly the public reader.  If a writer has 2-5% unfeatured hubs, it is a nonissue; however, if a writer has 50% & more unfeatured hubs, then it is a......PROBLEM.   Imagine if a writer has over 80% unfeatured hubs, it is catastrophic & readers would not want to read what this writer has to say.   

This feature should be done away with immediately.  What is HubPages thinking when they institute this?  This will make many writers DEFINITELY LEAVE HubPages.   It will cause others to become demoralized & stop writing more hubs.

Yes, I agree. I think it can only bring discouragement to some, and the fact is, some that are unfeatured are still good. Still worth the read. However, like you said, readers may not want to by looking at this new stat.

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I have only become aware of this today (11-14-15), upon reading your question.

No, I don't like the idea, but I think you should take this to the forums where staff may look at it and respond.  I don't think they pay much attention to the Q&A section...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

P.S.  I just checked, and I don't see any such thing on my hubs....  ????

2. Missy Smith profile image78

It is on your profile page under the total amount of hubs you have written. It says you have, if I remember correctly; 315 hubs, with 142 featured. Check if you would like it's there. It's there and what we are expressing is why?

3. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

DZY...Look under the green box that reads, "follow"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)